THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Hornady 155 gr Amax 30 cal.bullet for Deer?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 155 gr Amax 30 cal.bullet for Deer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone used this bullet in a .308 for deer? How did it perform?

Posts: 281 | Location: N.E. Montana | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought some ofthe 178 a maxes for plinking thinking they might be some "magic" missing link to ultra accuracy. They shot good but not by any huge margin. ANYHOW I did load some for a buddy who had sniper training in the military. I loaded him 10 of them for his 06. I didn't intend for him to deer hunt with them but he managed to shoot 2 deer after a quick sight in. (I think it was his first plastic tipped bullets and he was "wowed" by them). Anyhow there were 2 does--whitetail average size. Both shot behind the shoulder. One exited and left a orange sized hole. The other didn't exit but became a miniature shotgun on the internals. Both ran about 40 yards which is common for our wisconsin whitetails. I think there are alot better choices but if you took neck, or behind the shoulder shots they would get you that deer. Also being so fragile don't let them hit any brush or twigs.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Has anyone used this bullet in a .308 for derr? How did it perform?

Use the Interlock or the Interbond. The A maxes are for target not big game.

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop In the Hornady Manual they list it as a bullet for Medium game.I thought that would include deer sized game.

Posts: 281 | Location: N.E. Montana | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote