THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Caribou: Porcupine vr 40 Mile Herd???

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caribou: Porcupine vr 40 Mile Herd???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ryan
posted
I am looking for some comments – pros / cons – to hunting either of these herds.

We are planning a trip for the fall of 2007 to archery hunt one of these herds.

We are planning to access the herds via a fly in drop camp. The pilot we are working with in Fairbanks will fly into either herd but I am a little leery of the Forty Mile Herd.

From what I have read this herd is on the rebound and there still are not many caribou?

How is the Porcupine fairing?

Thanks for all the comments.

Ryan

Ryan.Miller@rsmiller.net
www.rsmiller.net

Posts: 81 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Fortymile hunt is a favorite of residents and the quote is filled very quickly. Typically the hunt is closed in fairly quick order once the animals cross the highway.

If it were me, I'd go for the Porcupine herd.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ryan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post.

I am assuming it is a favorite of residents because of the access via ATVs and proximity to Fairbanks... correct?

How is the trophy quaility with the 40 mile herd?

In regards to the Porcupine herd we are thinking unit 25A.... Would that be a reasonable unit for a early Sept hunt?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The fact the road system is used on the 40 Mile herd makes it so popular. Yes, fairly close to Fairbanks, Tok, etc... It is driveable.

The Porcupine herd is greater number of animals than the 40 mile herd, if I'm not mistaken, but more expensive for most people to get to. As I stated earlier, once the herd gets close to the highway, the quota is filled very quickly.

As for timing on the Porcupine herd, I wouldn't be the person to ask. Might give Coyote Air a call and see what they recommend.
http://www.flycoyote.com/default.asp

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ryan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ryan,

How about just going with the bush pilots recommendation? In all liklihood he'll know where he can get you into a lot of animals. I hunted caribou a whole bunch by being dropped off via bush plane and it is a bad idea to try an second guess the local intelligence. You may end up empty handed.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote