Find
Notify
Tools

What do you think?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
I am sure this is a nomadic buck and never captured on camera during the day. I may never see him again but he looks quite mature. I'll still be looking for him all season here in SWMO!

How old do you think he is? Any ideas why the far side antler is so unusual? This is the only photo I have of him. His neck looks pretty impressive too.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
No expert here but, thinking 4 plus (3 on the low side) years in age. The antlers could be genetics or more likely damage during the growth of the antler.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antler deformation can also be due to an injury to the body, especially the leg. He is standing a little funny?

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What do you think?

I think you should turn him into steaks and burgers as soon as you can. Big Grin

It looks to me like he has some sort of funky drop tine on that near antler or maybe even a 3rd antler growing from the base of the main antler. I had a friend once in VA take a buck with 3 antlers and the mount is pretty cool!

Posts: 1351 | Location: CO born, but in Athens, TX now. | Registered: 03 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks older than 4. Look at how he sags. I think the antler deformation is due to injury. The back legs just do not look right.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My thoughts are that he's older than 4.5
and would be a great challenge for the season.
Good Luck Ann tu2
Lots of neat "stickers" coming off his bases.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first thoughts were 6-1/2 but really need more shots... in the dark. Belly is showing some white belly hair coming up the side from a slight beer gut. Sign of age. Big neck and thick brisket also. Maybe older.
Re. Horns sometimes an injury while in velvet causes that. Could also be a genetic thing thrown in there.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would shoot him but then I never been known to be picky.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I peg him at 4.7.He was obviously born early in spring.I am thinking his rack is like that because his left testicle did not fully descend. popcorn

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I pulled the camera cards yesterday and there are no new photos of him. Firearms season starts on the 15th. I will be waiting if he decides to visit again.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
Looks older than 4. Look at how he sags. I think the antler deformation is due to injury. The back legs just do not look right.

I was hunting elk in Colorado about 10 years ago and the rancher shot a bull elk with a gimpy left rear leg that had a deformed right antler. The elk had been shot in the hip the season before and his left rear quarter was wasted away. The left antler was a perfect 5 point but the right antler was a 3' long club with four 6" long spikes sticking out of it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote