THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Anyone hunted Turkeys in the Black Hills of South Dakota??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone hunted Turkeys in the Black Hills of South Dakota??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted
I have heard that the southern hills are the best so I just booked a hotel near Hill City, but since I have never hunted them out there I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction???

Any hints??

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in the same situation for last fall's Elk and Turkey season and called the GFP Headquarters in Hot Springs. Mike Kinkaid is the Supervisor there, and he gave me a very detailed briefing on opportunities of which he was aware, tips valuable for Elk and Turkey hunting. He won't give you the grid coordinates of a turkey but his suggestions were spot on, and a place to start. Give them a call, 394-2391.
Shotgun

Posts: 111 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
Shotgun- thank you very much. I will give him a call today. Now I just need the weather to cooperate with me this weekend.

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never hunted them down south in the hills but if you happen to come to the northwest corner I could help you out. Looks like the weather won't be too bad and hopefully you'll get into some birds. They might still be bunched up some but hopefully some hens are laying so the toms will react to your calls. Best of luck.

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote