Find
Notify
Tools

Best American Bison - Buffalo - Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted
I would like to hunt a North American bison, a.k.a., buffalo.

I would like a good chance at a representative bull of the species and would want the meat.

I would appreciate any recommendations, the truly wilder, the better.

Thanks.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13674 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/nature/bison.htm

Extremely difficult hunt. Remote, cold, snow. North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I believe they’re finished with this cull but based on 2025 goals, more opportunities will arise.

I would call AZGFD. Or maybe even the North Rim Ranger station which is NPS.

A friend of mine killed one. Hardest hunt he’d ever done

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3557 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kyle Wolosek 715-323-2877
Devil’s Tower Outfitters, Hulett, Wy
He is doing some hunts in South Dakota.
My wife has a hunt scheduled there in March. It’s more than a walk up and shoot hunt.

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Utah Henry Mtn hunt is a great one but tough draw.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Contact Rob Arnaud of Arnaud Outfitters. He runs the buffalo hunting on Ted Turner’s ranches. Biggest Buffalo herds in USA. .

Posts: 3916 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of good buff on the Turner ranches. A friend of mine took a bull weighing over 3,000 pounds with his 45-70 there.
back when I fished there for trout, I saw a lot of good bison.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can draw, the Henry Mountain's is an amazing hunt. I drew the tag several years back.

It is steep, rugged, and free range. It can be a very difficult and challenging hunt. It is
one the best hunts I have ever been on.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
There are a lot of good buff on the Turner ranches. A friend of mine took a bull weighing over 3,000 pounds with his 45-70 there.
back when I fished there for trout, I saw a lot of good bison.

Do you know if it was much of hunt??? Or like shooting a beef cow??

My son is very interested in doing a bison hunt.

Thanks.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Watching this thread closely. Why oh why didn't I do a meat hunt 15 years ago when they were under $1K and my back was still intact?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a draw in Wyoming and the nonresident draw odds were 6% last year.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't see how the Turner hunt would be classified as such. More of a harvest. The meat of a buff heifer is FAR superior to that of a bull. The younger bulls are better as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:

Extremely difficult hunt. Remote, cold, snow. North Rim of the Grand Canyon. I believe they’re finished with this cull but based on 2025 goals, more opportunities will arise.

Did your friend successfully draw for the recent cull hunt? The odds on that draw were terrible. I am an optimist and didn't waste my time applying. Maybe I should have

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Following

Mike

Posts: 52 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 17 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by delloro:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:

Did your friend successfully draw for the recent cull hunt? The odds on that draw were terrible. I am an optimist and didn't waste my time applying. Maybe I should have

No. He drew and killed in the general draw. Both he and his lady drew tags on successive years.

I think the draw was 12 tags and 22,000 applicants. There are other ways to get Buffalo tags. I believe you get a tag if you draw for deer in a couple of those units. I'm not clear on it.

I know its by a long shot, the most difficult Buffalo hunt with maybe the exception of the Farewell Burn Hunt in Alaska.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3557 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard hunting wood bison in the Yukon is a "real" hunt. No personal experience. My brother and dad got Mt. Caribou with Mervyns Outfitting in the Yukon and he was telling them about it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of these helpful leads. Much appreciated.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might have to book and wait a couple+ years but if you want a contact to hunt WILD free-range bison with the Crow Indians in Montana, LMK and I'll PM his contact info.
I hunted there several times (one for buff) and have taken pronghorn, bear and bison.
It's the REAL deal!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
You might have to book and wait a couple+ years but if you want a contact to hunt WILD free-range bison with the Crow Indians in Montana, LMK and I'll PM his contact info.
I hunted there several times (one for buff) and have taken pronghorn, bear and bison.
It's the REAL deal!

Zeke

What was your buffalo hunt like Zeke? Would love to hear the details. Thanks

Mike

Posts: 52 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 17 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
The Crow Reservation in Montana offers wild Buffalo hunts.

Posts: 564 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael-
Zeke and Rob have mentioned the Crow reservation hunt. I forgot about that one. Check it out. Grand country too.

One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's the REAL deal!

Zelenograd we hunted goats on The Crow last year..... who did you hun5 with?

Zeke

Posts: 564 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Decided to go with Montana Hunting Co.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good deal Mike,
Sorry I was so slow PMing you back but now I see you're headed a different direction.

To others on here. The hunt for buff is the real deal (wild, free-range) and the Crow guys are all hard working and very knowledgeable.

I've hunted there for bear, bison once each and antelope 6 times. Most Often with Chaz but also with Barry on occasion. It's always awesome fun and their hunting lodge is comfortable albeit many miles from the buffalo pastures up on top of the mountain.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good deal Mike,
Sorry I was so slow PMing you back but now I see you're headed a different direction.

To others on here. The hunt for buff is the real deal (wild, free-range) and the Crow guys are all hard working and very knowledgeable.

I've hunted there for bear, bison once each and antelope 6 times. Most Often with Chaz but also with Barry on occasion. It's always awesome fun and their hunting lodge is comfortable albeit many miles from the buffalo pastures up on top of the mountain.

Zeke

Hey Zeke,
What is a ballpark costs for one of these buffalo hunts. I’m guessing a little on the high side but am curious. Thanks

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz4me2

I PM'd you my bud's contact info, sir.

As I recall there are levels of hunts like cow, meat bull, mature bull and trophy bull but talk to Vargo for details. They're all trophy hunts to me because it's the real deal.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buzz4me2

I PM'd you my bud's contact info, sir.

As I recall there are levels of hunts like cow, meat bull, mature bull and trophy bull but talk to Vargo for details. They're all trophy hunts to me because it's the real deal.

Zeke

Sounds good. Thanks

Mike