New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did you ever leave your bolt behind?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Today I cleaned some rifles in preparation for going to the shooting range. I packed them up in their carry cases. Then I looked at my workbench and saw that I'd left the bolt for one of them there -- I'd packed the rifle and forgotten to reinstall the bolt.

So, My question: Has anyone here ever gone on a hunt and, when you unpacked your rifle at the hunting site, found that you'd left your bolt behind? In my case, all that would have been lost would have been that I couldn't shoot that rifle when I got to the range. But what if you went on an expensive or important hunt and left the bolt behind? Fess up. Anyone done it?

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did exactly the same thing (cleaned rifle and left bolt out) several years ago. The hunt was just an evening trip so it was no disaster but I did feel stupid when opening the bag As it turned out, I had to help another hunter to track a roe-deer with my dog so I wouldn't have had any hunting of my own anyway.

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes I've done it but only been 20 minutes away.

I suspect we're more likely to have done this as in the UK rifles must be stored without bolt which must be placed in a seperate locked compartment.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
Not exactly, but close. I went on a goose hunt about 20 years ago. At first light in the pit, while loading my Rem 1100, I discovered that I left the magazine spring at home after cleaning it, leaving me with a single shot semiauto!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got that beat (I think!). Several years ago, my brother an I were on our way hunting, a half hour out of camp, I realized I forgot my rifle... I guess too may beers the night before.

Posts: 115 | Location: Maine USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have got as far as the street and realized I left my rifle in the house. A friend showed up one time at the camp and realised he forgot his ammo. He shot a 7x57 so he had to borrow a 30-30 to go hunting.
Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Over 20 years ago I took a gal I was dating coyote hunting. 25 miles from home discovered I left the bolt for my .222 at home. Initially I was disappointed but it was a hunter's version of "running out of gas".

And yes, I married her and we still are! But she doesn't fall for the " gee, I forgot the bolt at home" trick anymore.

Posts: 3281 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen guys bring their gun and forget their ammo.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Fat Bastard>
posted
I once went to the range specifically to sight in a rifle with an Ashley aperture sight (with the little adjustment screws). I forgot my little screwdriver.

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Went out very early to get to a spot 'way back in the hills before sunup. Didn't load the rifle because I had the clip in my coat pocket and didn't want to chance stumbling over something in the dark with a loaded gun. Once I got to the spot, I pulled out the clip, and, instead of being for the 30-06 that was in my hands, it was the one for my backup rifle, a 270. Much muttering and grumbling ensued.

Bright spot - on the way back into the woods after hoofing it back out and getting the proper clip, along came a nice buck. Wasn't near as long of a drag, either.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<reloaderman>
posted
Yes, been there, done that! Got to the range and opened the case and visualized the bolt on the work bench! Another time I took a friend hunting and walked him to his stand by a creek and explained which way to expect the deer to come and got him settled. I then went around the hill to my stand (about 1/2 mile) and got settled in and then walked back to my friend to retrive my gun which was leaning next to his tree! I said " I might need this today!" He never let me forget that day.

------------------
No matter where you go.........there you are!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never forgotten the bolt, but have gone to the range and left the ammo home.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My M-70 Deluxe was cheap,the bolt was a standard,the previous owner had lost the orginal.

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sadly, if it can be forgotten i have forgotten it. I have gone hunting with my black powder rifle and no percussion caps ( a good argument for flinters!). I have opened up a deer with the front sight blade since I forgot my knife. I have gone to BR matches and forgotten cleaning rods, cleaning solvent, dies, you name it. My wife says that if I develope Alzhiemer's diagnosis will be virtually impossible since my brain will change very little. I said I had to agree with her because at that point I couldn't remember why I married her. After I said this I remembered that there are times when it is best that I don't open my mouth. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3778 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Leeper:
My wife says that if I develope Alzhiemer's diagnosis will be virtually impossible since my brain will change very little. I said I had to agree with her because at that point I couldn't remember why I married her. After I said this I remembered that there are times when it is best that I don't open my mouth. Regards, Bill.

<cohoyo>
posted
i went on a fly out hunt a few years ago and on the way over the pilot said the guys he was picking up after dropping us off had left their guns at home and didn't realize it until they were at the lake being dropped off. they got to spend a week hunting with the pilots 44 mag pistol.
a friend and I were walking back to the truck after hunting moose when he noticed his rifle was not on his shoulder. I thought he was joking but he didn't have it. we went back to look for it and as it turned out we found it hanging on a bush. He had to force his way through it to get around a bog. a limb slipped between his shoulder and sling and lifted it off of him like a well seasond pick pocket. if i wasn't there I wouldn't have believed it.

one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Took my muzzle loaders to the range last week and left my balls at home.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
HiWall
That sounds painfull.

When I read the original question, I expected to see a lot of Canadians answer in the affirmative. Our storage laws suggest storing the bolt elsewhere in the house when a trigger lock, or other locking storage is not available.

The simple solution is to use a lever gun!
No I have never forgotten the bolt, almost maybe, but so far not.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
I have NEVER, EVER done anything like that!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep! Bin there and done that :-)

Started at 04.30 and eased into the hunting area after a twenty minute drive from home.

I was agreeably surprised to see a group of four Roe Deer already contentedly munching - only 60 yds from the now parked car. A snake could not have left the front seat any more quietly than I did that morning. My heart in my mouth, I moved around to the back of the car.

Eased it open and pulled out binoculars, these revealed the group to contain a cull buck I had been chasing for the whole season - excitement mounted!

Groping in the darkness of the 'trunk'- my questing hands fell on nothing more lethal than a walking stick :0( Doh!!

To this day, I will swear those deer laughed as they wandered back into the woods - but I certainly learned something. A double check costs nothing!

Rgds from the UK!

------------------
"Just taking my rifle for a walk!"........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Bastard:
I once went to the range specifically to sight in a rifle with an Ashley aperture sight (with the little adjustment screws). I forgot my little screwdriver.

I did the EXACT same thing last fall (Ashley Peep on my .45/70). I also did it again when I went to sight in my TC 54 cal Thunderhawk (adjustable rear sight) about 2 weeks later. But I never repeat the same mistake THREE times!

Haven't left a bolt at home yet, but it is bound to happen sooner or later.

A friend of mine was over in January showing me a gun he had for sale. We removed the bolt to look at the bore and when he left, neither of us noticed he also left the bolt sitting on my desk. He didn't know it was missing until he stopped at the next place, when that fellow asked him if the gun came with a bolt.

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Boltgun>
posted
About 10 years ago, I had to pick up a prisoner from another jail that we had a warrant for. I couldn't take my Glock into the jail so I put it in the trunk for safe keeping. I brought the prisoner out to the car, searched him one more time, and finally placed him in the back seat. This jail was in another county, so it was a pretty long drive back to our jail. I arrived at our jail and got the prisoner out of the car and started to walk him in when he asked "Where's your gun?". I had never put my gun back in the holster when I left the other jail. I promise that has not and will not happen again.

[This message has been edited by Boltgun (edited 03-27-2002).]

<Orion>
posted

YES!!!!

weidmansheil
martin

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Lost all my bullets once. My hunting partner and I arrived at the hunting area Fri night and set up the tent. It was raining and cold so we got in the tent and started drinking tequila and playing poker. We used bullets for the chips. I lost all my bullets and decided to call it a night and turned in. Next morning my buddy was too hung over to get up. So I ate breakfast and got ready to go out. When I remembered that he had all of my bullets, I asked for them back. " Sorry, You lost them fair and square " was his reply. About the time he realised that I was about to open up a can he gave me three of four rifle bullets. I spent a could, wet, miserable, hungover morning in the woods and never saw a deer. On returning to camp my partner had a nice whitetail hung up. He got up late and was gathering up some wood for a fire when he saw a nice buck staring at him. Shot it wiht his pistol not twenty feet from the tent.

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Jerry Skidmore>
posted
One noon I drove back to camp and left my rifle leaning against a tree. Luckily it was still there for the evening hunt. I read a post on one of the african forumns. The guy was so worried some airport worker was going to steal his rifle, he decided he would make it unuseable by removing the bolt and packing it in his checked bag. Ya, when he got to Africa his gun case was there and his bag was missing !

<shall>
posted
Ever try and shoot your 1911A at the range without a magazine?

<BigBob>
posted
I can proudly say I've never left a rifle bolt at home. But I don't think we should talk about leaving ammo at home. As I recall My face looked a little like the face at the bottom of this post. Have fun guys.

------------------
BigBob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Never done that, but when I was a kid, I went bowhunting for deer one morning behind the house and after it got light I realized that I had forgotten to put my contacts in. I walked home pretty discusted with myself.

------------------
Shane Marquardt

Posts: 179 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went deer hunting with a buddy once. He forgot most of his ammo, had 3 in his pocket from the day before. I had the wrong ammo. We were using the same caliber, and he let me use one bullet. That day we both got a deer.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Took my Muzzle Loaders to the range today, but this time I remembered to take my balls as well.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HiWall:
Took my Muzzle Loaders to the range today, but this time I remembered to take my balls as well.

did you bring the ammunition too?

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
Now, this didn't happen to me, but a friend of mine was hunting Caribou in Alaska, and after a 6-hour boat ride up river from camp, sighted a large group of 'Bou. He uncased his rifle and discovered he has left the bolt back in camp. He says it was a fun boat ride anyway.

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never done any of the above before. But, I did drive 50 miles once with a couple of friends to shoot jack rabbits. When we got there we saw 10-12 rabbits running up the hill by the parking spot we always choose. We piled out of the car and started loading our rifles, however the first thing I did was stick the barrel of my 17 Rem. into the sand by my car. All of my friends were shooting 22lr's. The only thing I forgot that day was my 17 cal. cleaning kit, although we had plenty of 22 cal. kits. I had no back up rifle, so I threw rocks instead.

Big 17

Posts: 82 | Location: Gardnerville, Nevada | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote