THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Let's say I want to use the swede to shoot a moose.....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's say I want to use the swede to shoot a moose.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What bullet weight and type would you recommend??

<WyomingSwede>
posted
140 gr Nosler partition...works for elk...will work for moose if I ever draw my tag.

swede

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any good bullet with a careful shot but I would choose a 156 gr. I've used Norma's Alaska for most of my moose but they are a bit soft. Norma's Oryx, Lapua's Mega or Swift's A-frame is what I would use now.

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
160 grn Hornady RN.

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
140 gr. Barnes X or XLC, 140 gr. Swift A-Frame, 140 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, and maybe the 155 gr. Lapua Mega too.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WsrtnHntr,

I lean toiwards the 160 Hornady RN myself....have you any experience with this bullet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johnny Ringo,

The wife used the following load for both moose and Caribou this last fall in Alaska with no problems.

140 gr. Barnes XLC ahead of 43.6 gr. of IMR-4320 for 2,827 fps.

One shot on Caribou and two on the Moose but the second wasn’t needed. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You all are talking about a 6.5 X 55 right? Nobody actually specified the cartridge other than "Swede", which may be self explanatory, but the charge that Lawdog listed does not seem Swede-ish to me. Just seeking clarification.
I too have been wondering about using the 6.5 X 55 for Moose... in Alaska. My "magnumaniac" buddies tell me it is waay out of it's league for moose and then I point out some facts about the moose in Europe taken with the round. Moose are much bigger here so it is pushing your luck I am told. Not wanting to test a theory on a fine moose I would like to hear a bit of the details involved with the shots that bagged a bull. What is the maximum moose range with those loads? How was the penetration?

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I have heard very good reports from the 160 grain hornady

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was an informal poll taken here some time back among the Europeans and what they use for moose. Contrary to the popular belief, most of them were using .308s and .30-06s, as I recall. -Fred

I too have been wondering about using the 6.5 X 55 for Moose... in Alaska. My "magnumaniac" buddies tell me it is waay out of it's league for moose and then I point out some facts about the moose in Europe taken with the round. Moose are much bigger here so it is pushing your luck I am told. Not wanting to test a theory on a fine moose I would like to hear a bit of the details involved with the shots that bagged a bull. What is the maximum moose range with those loads? How was the penetration?[/QB][/QUOTE]

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Europe's 270=6.5x55

I would use the 160 Hornady roundon moose /deer/ bear It has more SD than the 308 180 gr bullet. Do some research yourself .The 6.5 x 55 is a small bullet granted but this round is long and gets the job done. Shot placement of course is important.
The nice thing about this cal is that it is mild in recoil even with hot reloads. I have a model 38 made in 1942 with a chopped stock. This model will take the powder that the older model 96 can not. In short the 156/ or 160 gr .264cal is up to the task.
If the shooting range is short and you do not mind the recoil bring the 45/70 lever.It makes a bigger hole.

Posts: 1 | Location: Emsdale Canada | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Ringo:
WsrtnHntr,

I lean toiwards the 160 Hornady RN myself....have you any experience with this bullet?

None whatsoever, but it sure looks like a peach! If I had a 6,5 I would be for getting some experience with them.

Ive been trying to talk my brother into trying them in his Sweede but he is just starting to gather reloading equipment. I dont remember which Gun rag it was but one of them recently had some very high praise for them.

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have over the years shot a lot of game with the 160 gr Hornaday RN. in the Swede. Just stuff it with RL 22. Aso for it being to light for Alaska moose, well guys have used 243's. Put one thru the heart /lungs and well your skining knife better be sharpe.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote