Find
Notify
Tools

Rangefinders in the rain advice
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Looking at rangefinders for mule deer hunting with iron-sighted rifles, and like both the Bushnell Scout (for the size and price) and the Leica 800. However, I see that neither of these has a "rain mode" whatever the heck that is. What happens to rangefinders when used in inclement weather, assuming they are protected from the elements themselves? Any other rangefinder advice appreciated; I am not a Texas orthodontist, and can't afford the best.

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
I wouldn't worry about it. If it is raining you probably cannot spot game beyond 200 yards or so anyway.

MM

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
The "rain" mode is available on several of the Bushnell Rangefinders. When this mode is activated, The Laser beam is not reflected off falling rain or snow. Hence you'll get a more accurate reading.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill I can't remember what the scout sells for but I just bought the Yardage Pro 1000 from Bear Basin Outfitters in CA for $319+ $2.95 handling.Free shipping and I got it in two days(I'm north of you near Salem). My brother in law has one and says the rain mode works great as he's tested it out to 500 yds. I took mine out to play with and actually got a 998 yd reading off a big snag last weekend. I think the Bushnells are water resistant but the Legend they make is waterproof.
Jeff
www.bearbasin.com/

[ 06-24-2002, 00:24: Message edited by: jsr ]

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Tigar>
posted
Bill,

You mentioned not being able to afford the best but still mentioned the Leica 800s - some places you can get the Leica 1200s for the same price $399 (Adorama and some of the camera places, and here is a contact off of another board - Alex (importer) in PA at 570-220-3159). That pretty much would be the top-of-the-line without going to some of the military type ones that look like a bazooka and are more for extreme ranges. You may not need more than 800 yards, but it sounds like the 1200 will get you better, more accurate readings more of the time even at ranges less than 800 yards. By the way, I think Alex could get the 800s for $300 - haven't confirmed this. FWIW [Smile]

<Dice2>
posted
The rain is not the culprit on the rangfinders, it
is the darn cold weather in the mountains or anywhere else temps get below 35 degrees. I think it is best to keep it under your coat or shirt close to your body to stay warm and from getting mositure inside the unit. PS carry lots of spare batteries in cold weather.

<ChuckD>
posted
Bill, I too live in Oregon and hunt in the westside --in the rain. I have a scout, which I carry in a pocket (the reason I bought that model) and have no problems at all. But as a previous poster said, you cant spot game very far off in the rain anyway. I'd get what you want and not worry.