New
Find
Notify
Tools

World Record Bighorn
 Login/Join

<richard powell>
posted
I noticed in the latest Safari magazine, that on the back page with that usual taxidermy advertisement - Animal Artistry - out of Reno - that they had a mounted ram which is labelled as the new World Record. Have I been asleep for the last year????

one of us
Picture of SKelly
posted Hide Post
Shame on you Richard! The new world record was taken on November 28, 2000. It was killed by Guinn Crollsen, an auction permit holder. He was even taken in your own Province! The ram was taken near Cadomin, Alberta. The brute has 47 4/8 and 46 5/8 horn lengths and 15 7/8 bases. He officially scores 208 3/8. Dat's one big ram folks!!

Posts: 31 | Location: Plains,MT | Registered: 16 October 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Skelly,

Didn't it tie the old record, at 208 6/8? Or is my memory failing me?

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<richard powell>
posted
Dang! But I have been put in my place! I knew that the permits up there had resulted in a couple of rams that just missed the world record over the last few years. This buster would have beaten the old record by about 3/8's or so. Next thing you'll be telling me, Sean, is that someone beat Klineburger's world record Alaskan moose?!!!

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Apparently my memory ain't like an elephant's. The old record was 208 1/8.

I copied this from the B&C site:

NEW WORLD'S RECORD

SCORE: 208-3/8

LOCALITY KILLED: Luscar Mountain, Alberta

BY WHOM KILLED: Guinn D. Crousen

OWNER: Guinn D. Crousen

DATE KILLED: 2000

KEY MEASUREMENTS:
Length of horn: Right 47-4/8 - Left 46-5/8
Circumference of base: Right 15-7/8 - Left 15-7/8
Circumference at 3rd quarter: Right 12 - Left 11-3/8
Greatest spread: 23-1/8

Canuck

[This message has been edited by Canuck (edited 12-21-2001).]

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SKelly
posted Hide Post
Canuck, don't worry about the memory thing, I'd forget my name if my wife wasn't constantly yelling it at me

Richard,

I'll forgive ya this time

Posts: 31 | Location: Plains,MT | Registered: 16 October 2000Reply With Quote
<mod 12>
posted
Richard-: did you get that camel and how did it eat? When I heard the Marines had a camel probe them, I thought of you.

------------------
mod 12

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I guess the real question is- Richard, when are you going to Luscar Mtn., and which among us will you be taking with you?

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<richard powell>
posted
Ah, yes ... the camels. I didn't do really well on that Australian hunt. I booked tickets, the Aussie chap didn't answer my e mails. I cancelled tickets. The Ausie chap reappeared .... I bought new, more expensive tickets. The last couple of months before the hunt (by now I was going to hunt buffalo and pigs) the chap quit answering my e mails. Three e mails later .... with no response ... and not wanting to hang around Darwin in a hotel for a couple of weeks I cancelled my flights again. My travel agent thinks I'm scum. The chap has reappeared ---- but I doubt if I will ever hunt in his company. I'll get over there yet. The camels will just have to wait for now!

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Here is the article:

Guinn D. Crousen, who took that new world record bighorn last year in the Cadomin area of Alberta, has taken another sheep
that should crack the 200-point mark. Crousen, you'll recall, took a sheep
last year that measures 208 3/8 points, nosing out the current world record
by 2/8 points. He was hunting with guide Randy Babala (867-633-3396),
utilizing a special governor's tag. The sheep he took this year was taken
in the same area with the help of the same guide, again using a special
governor's tag.

This year's sheep has not been officially measured as this is written, but
Crousen says he and Babala put a tape on it in the field, and they are
confident it will crack 200. "I think it will wind up somewhere around 201
1/2," Crousen told The Hunting Report.

Crousen says Babala has a home in Cadomin, and that he and Babala spotted
the sheep from Babala's front yard. "Can you imagine spotting a sheep like
that from your guide's front yard?" Crousen said. "We killed it less than
two hours after spotting it, on just the second day of my hunt."

Crousen went on to say that he believes the Cadomin area is the single best
place in the world to hunt for a sheep that will crack 200 points. "They
have got some truly fine sheep there," he said, noting the resident hunter
in the Cadomin area this year took a sheep that will score well up in the
record book, maybe as high as the high 190's. He says the governor's permit
that made it possible for him to hunt this area cost him $180,000 this
year. It cost him $200,000 last year. That permit, which is a must for the
bighorn sheep hunter eyeing the top of the record book, is expected to be
auctioned this year by the Foundation for North American Wild Sheep

Courtesy Don Causey

Very interesting!

------------------
Wendell Reich
Hunter's Quest International

[This message has been edited by Buffalobwana (edited 12-22-2001).]

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Don't mean to change the subject in mid-stream, but I am interested...who was this aussie chap? Was he a ph or just 'some guy' who said he would take you on a Camel shoot?

------------------
Wendell Reich
Hunter's Quest International

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
<richard powell>
posted
Good question, partner. The fellow posted a few articles on the internet about hunting over there. I have long wanted to hunt Australia but whenever I had a chance I always hared it over to Africa - which seems to be the only mistress that my wife allows me. Anyways .... as our Canadian buck hovers at about the same value as newsprint I started to think that it might be great to hunt Australia - and pay in their currency. Instead of American dollars. And I have always wanted to hunt their buffalo - also a camel (my wife thinks I'm nuts!). Anyways, I corresponded with this chap about hunting over there and with access to a huge 'ranch' he invited me over. I couldn't believe my good luck. Instead of $6,000 U.S. I could be doing it for the airfare (cheaper than Africa) plus expenses. I've done a huge amount of hunting (I'm no puppy) so thought it would be a grand adventure... I always take folk at face value and usually it works out. This time it didn't. In the fellow's defence - he is a soldier over there and maybe something came up. I took a chance and in the end there was no joy.... However, by nature I am a optimistic lout and will make it over there.... Not this summer though... Going to Namibia. Deposit went out six months ago.....poor travel agent might make money on me yet.

<No Fear in Accuracy>
posted
Is Guinn a first name? It seemed odd to me. My last name is Guinn. If I marry him, it would be Guinn Guinn? Sheesh...no thanks.
-Denny Guinn