THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Cougar attack unarmed Mt. bikers kills one

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cougar attack unarmed Mt. bikers kills one
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My Ti 41 carries well when I am biking. I am sure a 210 hard cast at 1100 fps would work well in a situation like this.

Washington State

1 dead, 1 injured after mountain lion attack on mountain bikers near North Bend
KOMO NEWS ^ | 19 Nay 2018

A man is dead and another was taken to Harborview Medical Center on Saturday afternoon after a highly unusual fatal mountain lion attack near North Bend east of Seattle in the Cascades... The mountain lion was tracked and killed.

http://komonews.com/news/local...tack-near-north-bend

Posts: 19607 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'll bet the greenies there will be on the side of the cat

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it was Minnesota, they would have been packing Mossbergs :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
“He jumped the first victim and attacked him,” said Abbott. “The second victim turned and started to run away. The cougar saw that and went after the second victim. The first victim saw his friend being pulled by the cougar. He got on his bike and started to bike away. Abbott said the man rode for about 2 miles before being able to get cellphone coverage and call 911."

What a mess. Running away and leaving your partner is never an option. If they had stuck together and aggressively fought back they both would have survived this. Small young lion like that would not be a match for two 30 year old men in good condition that could use their bikes as weapons or shields. If you panic and run you're going to get hurt!

P.S. I am on my bike in the woods at least 300 days a year. I have a can of bear spray in the water holder on the frame and a Glock 10 mm on my hip. Not enough weight to be an issue or cause any discomfort but well situated to deal with any problem that arises!

P.S.S. living in a small town nothing that happens here ever makes the national news but as an FYI this past Friday we had a young lady that works for US fish and wildlife get hammered by a grizzly bear just south of town. she survived but was seriously mauled and life-flighted to Kalispell for treatment. Bumped him on the trail wrong place wrong time.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
The national news channels made a big deal about this “large “ lion ( 100lbs-LOL) and how this almost NEVER happens. At least 1 attack/year occurs in CA. faint

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13432 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't happen near often enough in CAL!
IF enough got chewed maybe the idiots
would vote for a cat season.
Though I doubt that even if.

Gotta see 'em coming to shoot or spray 'em!
No idea whether this cat jumped these guys from behind or not.
Just because you're armed and have spray don't mean much.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a couple of candy asses. Probably the kind of bikers who wear the tight tight clothes to watch their buddies butt. Not trying to disparage real people who are bikers, but these two don't sound like they are. As was mentioned, if they'd hung together might have at least run the cat off with some bad scrathes and such.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Free range Californians. Fewer is better. Go Cougs!

one of us
posted Hide Post
They quote the Deputy "They did everything right "
Really ! Victim #1 was being chewed on .victim #2 RAN .Cat caught #2 killing her !! NEVER run from a apredator ! shame

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
is two victims better than one? tough spot for both fellas. MAYBE the could have fought it off, or MAYBE it would have claimed both men's lives. as someone who had a cougar staring me down at 7 yards (right before I perforated it with an arrow) I couldn't have told you how big that cat was. It looked huge! ended up about 125 pounds. I would not have wanted to tangle with it. I don't THINK I would have left my buddy, but I don't know that 100%. Self preservation is a big hurdle to overcome.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Actually I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Which goes to show how rare a cougar actually attacking someone is compared to their opertunities to do so. Mountain bikes are fairly fast, quiet and all a cougar sees is something fleeing. Besides most so called "attacks" are one pounce and gone.

The person who ran from the scene almost deserves to get sued by the others ones relatives. It's highly doubtful a cougar would take on two people who put up an aggressive defense.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
This incident reminds me of the old joke: I don't have to outrun the cougar. All I need to do is outrun you.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Chase reflex on the lion's part. I blame exercise. Everyone at work with a cast or a boot hurt themselves exercising. It's definitely bad for you.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4780 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
The Greenies Banned Hound hunting here in Washington. Everyone here say they should carry a Firearm while in the mountain's. The Greenie's are Vomiting!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I lived among the Mt. Lions my whole life growing up in far West Texas..Never heard of Mt. Lions attacking a human to this day..They are a preditor and hunted and trapped year around, same with bear....My dad was considered an expert and advisor on Mt. lions..He would kill a lion in a trap with a hammer, but was scared to death of a 12 lb. Bobcat as they would jump in your face from a trap..

I had 150 lion hides at one time in the freezer but had to burn them as hot weather lions look like alley cats, not long hair like Idaho Lions..

Ive notice Lions bears and coyotes have become all but domestic in Cal. Washington and states that protect them, they roam in towns and lose fear of man is my thinking...Maybe rabies or some sort of starvation causes it, but its only in those protecting states..

I have no fear at all with "free roaming" Lions, bobcats,& coyotes. I do respect rattle snakes and will give them and a black bear some space if Im not armed. I can see where a LIon or bear might feed on a small child as prey, but again only in those liberal states were all thinking is screw up..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
they roam in towns and lose fear of man is my thinking... but its only in those protecting states..

That is probably as good as it gets. The other attacks, at least some in California have occured in more forested areas where people are jogging/bicycling.

One theory I saw felt that the cats were hunting and something passed by them as if fleeing and they merely acted as if it were a deer.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
Atkinson, I shot a cougar with my bow last year at 7 yards. He likely saw my movement as I prepared to leave my deer blind and came to see what I was. A young male of about 125 pounds, I can tell you I would want NOTHING to do with one without a weapon!

You may find this video interesting, too...

https://youtu.be/EXqMX5SXMnQ

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never heard of Mt. Lions attacking a human to this day.

Guess you haven't paid attention to that subject.

19 fatalities from 1949 to 2018 hard to find hard numbers on just attack from what I am seeing could easily be 10 times the fatalities.

Posts: 19607 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
We had one in Idaho Springs, Co quite a few years ago, a jogger I think. Common thread, typically people running/biking near dusk/dawn. Unfortunately that's the only time a lot of folks have to get some exercise in outdoors during the week.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4780 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Maybe if such incidents were publicized a little better, people would come to understand that not ALL wildlife views humans as the Dominant Species.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When they aren't hunted for several generations moma cougar quits teaching her young to be afraid of people.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swampshooter, I suspect that's a good analogy..I know Lions are secretive and I was exposed to them daily for sure and Ive only seen maybe 3 in my life other than in a trap or treed by dogs...My most memorable experience with Lions was one deer season in Idahos south Hills when my son, a friend and I were sitting on a ledge scoping for deer and a female and two cubs stepped out about 50 yards from us, We watched them play and agrivate mom for 30 minutes..But the difference was both cubs were white as snow and pure Albino..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bunny huggers make awesome cougar ,wolf and bear food .They get what they ask for in the end .
Predators are way over protected in this country !One day when they ban hunting they will want us back
To control the predators they love to protect that will kill and eat them!

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LIons that are hunted fear man! end of story..Lions are a timid animal, in a trap they cringe and never hit the end of a drag..A little bobcat is a whole nuther creature, they will lunge at you if in a trap..I know more than a few old ranchers that hit Lions in the head with a hammer in a trap but wont' go near a bobcat or Lynx..My dad was one of those ranchers. Ive not done that but I have on more than a few occasions stuck my 22 rifle within two or three inches of their head and shot them in a trap..Ive climbed a tree and done the same thing..They simply are not the ferousome creature they are made out to be by those that know only what they have read..

I have to admit a Lion almost killed me..Our dogs ran him in a cave with a small entrance..dad handed me a 22 pistol and a flashlight and I crawled in after him got pretty tight in there and I heard a noise and about 15 or more Javalinas ran over me while I wiggle around, covered my head and near died from fright, dad crawled in and helped pull me out and said "who'd a thought it" so we built a fire to smoke him out, then saw smoke about 75 yard up the mountain, where the Lion got out an left the country..We got the dogs on him but they couldn't locate him as he got on a ledge and whatever...so I guess if a Lion has some help he could be dangerous. Lion hunters always crawl in caves if that's where the Lion goes, if Lions were killers of man, they wouldn't do that..just my two bits.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120