one of us
Picture of solvi
posted
Any of you have any experience with them

Posts: 497 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one on my 300 win mag.
Reduced the felt recoil to about 30-06 levels.
Much better than using a muzzle break.
Add a good recoil reducing pad and the 300 win recoil is no problem.

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The mercury-filled reducer is presumed to work by spreading the length of the recoil impulse over a longer time (due to the action of the liquid mercury). In reality, they seem to only reduced recoil in proportion to the weight they add to the gun, just as would a chunk of lead placed in the stock.

If you don't mind a heavier gun as a trade-off to reduce recoil, I would opt for plain old lead in the stock. It's less expensive and also less toxic.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert and recoil is a very subjective feeling, but I agree with Stonecreek. His sentiments match mine precisely.

Though much of my Mercury RR experience is with trapguns.

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn�t well fitted raw lead in a stock oxidize and split the stock?

one of us
posted Hide Post
solvi,

Yes I use them in all of my rifles from .340 Weatherby up to my .450 Rigby and they work. The brand I use is C&H Research. I tried the solid lead in the stock and the birdshot routine, neither works anywhere near as well as the mercury insert. With mercury inserts you don't need a brake and they are easier on your hearing and the cost is cheaper. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear solvi,

I am lucky in the sense that the recoil of heavy calibres does not affect my enjoyment of using these calibres or that I shoot less accurate with it. Don't be mistaken, a .450 Weatherby Magnum still kicks like a mule but it does not cause me to flinch or not enjoy shooting with it.

Being a Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter, I cannot say the same about all my clients. My clients usually use my .375 H&H Magnum for hunting dangerous game and the .300 Win Mag for the bigger plains game. I usually back-up with a .416 Rigby when hunting dangerous game.

I had mercury recoil breakers fitted to my .416 Rigby, .375 H&H Mag as well as the .300 Win Mag and I can assure you, it does make a difference.

I had the .375 H&H Magnum tested at the South African Bureau of Standards (SABS) and the recoil was measured at 30% less after the mercury recoil breaker was fitted.

The % difference is obviously dependent on the calibre and weight of the specific rifle.

I am such a strong supporter of these breakers that I obtained distribution rights from the manufacturer in South Africa.

The 2003 price is R 400 (approximately US$ 60) per unit, export and other costs excluded.

Please contact me if you need more information.

Wilhelm Greeff
wilhelm@zingelani.co.za

Posts: 80 | Location: Centurion, South Africa | Registered: 20 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I HAVE been shooting since I was 5 years old.
At age 21 I would go out and put 200+ rounds through my .458 Winmag in an afternoon of shooting.(yep, a little like getting punchy at the end of the day)

At Age 35 my gunsmith friend come up with a GREAT muzzle brake that makes a .375 feel like a .243 and my glass stocked .340 like a LIGHT .270 and with scope weighs in at 9 pounds. Without weighing my .375 down with lead to tame recoil I have an 8 pound kevlar stocked .375 I can plink with like a .22 all day and not be worn out from recoil or weight.

Muzzle blast is not a problem because that is why they invented hearing protection and you should have it even for unbraked guns as well.
Think about it, how many game animals do you take that you wouldn't have the time to push in the plugs that are at rest in your ear canals before firing. Not many. I get so used to having them in every now and then I have someone ask me "what are those blue things in your ears?"

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote