Find
Notify
Tools

Scopes with long eye relief
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
Can someone list a scope or 2 that has nice, long eye relief? I'm afraid of getting hit with it, so I hold my eye a little too far from the scope because (honestly) I'm afraid of it. I'm looking at either a 4x or a 1-5 variable for a Ruger #1. Thanks

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been there, been whacked!

Changed over to a Leupold 1.5 X 5 X 20mm. Excellent eye relief and good optics. Even a sloppy bench shooter like myself can shoot a kicker in safety with this scope!

This is my first Leupold and I am very, very pleased. My selection was due to advice provided on this forum.

The #1 really wants a scope with extended relief due to its forward mounting position. Leupold has quite a few scopes that should address your needs quite nicely.

Their warranty is great and their service is said to be exemplary.

My thanks to all who helped with my scope queries.

If recoil and eye relief are a concern, Leupold is the answer.

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Kimmo E>
posted
Buy a handgun scope whith 20cm eye relif.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second Holmes recommendation. I switched from a 4x Swarovksi for my 375 H&H because the eye-relief was very small and I was, like you, not comfortable with it. I bought the 1-4x20 Vari X IIc and this gives me 4-5 inches of relief depending on the magnification. You should try the scope on it's highest setting when testing the eye-relief.

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Leupold,Leupold,Leupold. They have the longest eye-relief. I really like the 6x42mm on a hard kicker....................

one of us
posted Hide Post
Leupold

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Leupold VariX-II 2-7x33. Great eye relief and going cheap on runout if you are quick.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Hi wall I am inexperienced with bigbores but mounted a 2-7x33 on my .416 and it has heaps of eyereleif.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too have been plauged with the very same problem on my #1 in .375. The scope it wears now is a Burris compact 1-4 xer. Awesome scope, with a ton of eye relief!!! It sits in burris signature ruger low mounts. No problems yet.

------------------
Gotta love that BIG MEDICINE

Posts: 1257 | Location: Colusa CA U.S.A. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
4 x 4.
I have deep-set eyes(not bug-eyed),so eye relief is important to me.
For that reason,I chose the Leupold 2x 4x Vari x 2.
Frank

------------------
Frank

Posts: 202 | Location: Newburgh,New York Orange | Registered: 21 March 2001Reply With Quote
<vibrasonic9>
posted
Burris Compacts......that's what I use on my rifles......all of 'em.

------------------
Rod's Place

one of us
posted Hide Post
Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-8x, and Leupold 1.75-6Ex. Eye relief is nearly 4" when set to their lower power.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
I would have to agree with vibrasonic9. I've used Leuopolds, Redfield and several others. All of my rifles wear Burris Compacts. Wouldn't have it any other way. One has been on my .338 for a long time and I have put a lot of rounds through it. The Burris has been abused and is as clear as the day it was put on the old girl. Can't beat 'em.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eye relief and field of view are inversely proportional (think about it-- your 10X binoculars give you as much field as your scope set on 4X, but that's because the binoculars use only a 1/2 inch of eye relief).

Leupold has always chosen to go for narrower field and longer eye relief with its scopes (as well as less critical eye alignment). This is a good choice, since if the scope is quick to give you a sight picture, wide field of view is not as important.

Few scopes on the market have an eye relief as generous as Leupolds. Their "compact" line has had to compromise a bit on eye relief, however, so stay with the full-size versions if eye relief is of paramount importance.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leupold. I have a 2.5, and 2 6X on a 7mm08, 270 and a 300 Win. Eye relief is the main reason I went to Leopold from Ziess. All are they are excleent scopes.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Greg Y>
posted
Leupold is the answer!!!! GREG

<Phil R>
posted
The Leupold 1.5x5 is an excellent scope in particular for the #1 .45/70. The mount locations on the #1 are farther forward than is the case with most bolt actions, therefore the challenge is to get the scope back far enough for proper eye relief without the need for rear offset rings. The straight tube objective lens on the 1.5x5 and the long eye relief combine to make it work real nice. I know cus I got one!

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
The Leupold Varix 3 in the smaller magnifications have plenty of eye relief. I have been very pleased with the Burris compacts too. The compacts have about 5" of eye relief.

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My list is as follows:

1. Leupold 1.5x5
2. Leupold 1x4
3. Leupold 3X
4. Leupold 2.5 compact ( for 458 Lott and up )
5. Leupold 2.5 Alaskan (7/8" tube)
6. Leupold
7, Leupold, etc. etc.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41942 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<303hunter>
posted
The steel tube Weaver K2.5's and K3's have gobs of eye relief.
I'm using a Redfield 1.75x5 on my .338 and it is way out front.

<Frank>
posted
I would choose the Burris, better optics. To bad Ziess, Swarovski and S & B don�t have longer eye relief�s because there optics blow leupold away. But than again these big guns might not need real good glass. Meaning they may be used hunting game with adequate light.