Find
Notify
Tools

Andre' ,I got one!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey Andre',

I got a bull on 10 October at a camp near Amsele. I can't make the double dots and halos or I would give you the exact name. It scored 238 points green according to Jagdverbundet. So it will dry smaller and will still not be a medal but I thought it was still damn good. I brought it home and am having it mounted in what we here call the "European" style. I sawed the skull and boiled it. How did you do?

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
�msele? Even closer to Ume� than �n�set... 'Grattis' to the bull, how 'bout some more info, like distance and conditions..?

I'm off to Stockholm tomorrow (congress...) and won't be back until next thurday, so I might not respond that fast but please do share the info.

Good hunting,

-- Mats

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Tombo,
Congratulations, I'm back from Sweden too. Had a great time but only 2 occasions : one a very big lone cow that I didn't shoot, fearing she might be followed by a calf. I let her pass, waiting for the calf but not knowing it had been shot 1/2 h ago. And then on my last day, another lone cow. Shot her and seeing her limp away, I wanted to take a second shot but the damned .300 Win Mag Tikka I borrowed jammed (NB. : it already did twice during the shooting test*). The cow fled a few hundred meters and went down in front of my neighbour hunter. Some hunters of our party had more luck though and shot 3 Moose. I learned the lesson and in the future, no matter the red tape involved, I'll always take along one of my own rifles.

* on my second run, I managed a 20/20 on the running moose.

------------------
Andr�

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was Amsele not the other spelling. It's on the Umea river. But I digress, I didn't shoot the moose from any great or stealthy hunting abilities on my part. Moving through that country is difficult. It's like walking on 6- 18 inches of wet sponges with rocks and branches thrown in. It rained almost the entire time. Anyway, I had borrowed a 9,3 x 62 Husqvarna. A damn nice rifle and damn nice round. I liked it. We set the "Jamthund" loose around 0745. He took off and we followed. We had gone about 300 meters when we heard the dog coming back barking, we stood still and waited. We then heard moose grunting very close. A very small bull and an enormous bull. They stopped, I had a great shot but had not chambered a round as i thought I would have a little more time. As soon as I took down my rifle they were gone. As was the dog. We then proceeded another half a kilometer. We reached the end of a logging road. My friend Goran then went back to retreive his car and I proceeded down the logging road. We were going to meet about 2 kilometers down the road. I took the dog tracker and set off. I was moving down the road. Suddenly from my right a cow broke out of the brush followed by the bull about 75 meters ahead. As soon as I moved the moose started to run. As I overcame my surprise, I pulled down my rifle and got off a shot. It hit him just behind the ribcage. It was a shitty shot. He slowed and proceeded up a hill through a clear cut. I followed with another shot that ended up in a tree. As I tracked him and pulled the trigger a tree was in the sights. By then he went over the hill. As I got to the top of the rise, it was getting foggy and I lost him in the fog. I called in a tracker dog. He was laying close to the last spot I saw him and finished him. I'd post a picture but I don't know how to post it.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<JAN>
posted
Tombo21
I got a moose last Saturday, but I had to settle with a calf as all the big ones on our license already had been taken. It was 8.30 in the morning when a cow with 2 calf�s run out on a clear cut 65 meters in front of me, she stopped after 15 meters and one calf proceeded past here so I could get a clear shot. I hit him behind the shoulder in the ribs and both lungs, he still did run 150 meters before he went down. I use a BRNO ZG47 9,3x62 and GS HV 230gr bullet.

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JAN:

<snip> I use a BRNO ZG47 9,3x62 and GS HV 230gr bullet.

Hejsan!

I'm just about to order some HV bullets myself. Have you shot enough animals with them to form an opinion as to their performance? Accuracy?

Any problems with getting them to Sweden from South Africa via the post?

I'm looking at the HV bullets for my .358 Norma Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, and perhaps my .375 H&H Mag.

jpb (�cks� i Ume� )

[This message has been edited by jpb (edited 10-23-2001).]

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hej John,
My moose didn't have a tag. The hunting team I was with shot about 8 moose in the 6 days I was hunting. None of them had a tag. Are you sure you are tagging these moose(meese)?

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tombo21:
Hej John,
My moose didn't have a tag. The hunting team I was with shot about 8 moose in the 6 days I was hunting. None of them had a tag. Are you sure you are tagging these moose(meese)?

Well, perhaps I've missed tagging a few...

Actually, we've tagged over 800 moose since 1990, but at a given time don't have that many moose wearing decorations!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is it with Umea? It seems to be the Accuratereloading centre of Sweden. What're the property prices like I want to relocate.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<PCH>
posted
Ume� is the left wing vegetarian anti everything center of Sweden. The Ume� area is also somewhat of a shooting/benchrest/hunting center as well. On the University campus you can see forestry students dressed in their hunting clothes walking their hunting dogs while other students protest against USA or eating meat. An interesting combination isn't it?

Every week there�s newspaper articles on hunting and fishing. Moose hunting is on the first page in the newspapers every year.

Around here you�re not a real man if you don't hunt or own a snowmobile.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What PCH says is correct. Umea is a university town. Lots of students with all the answers, except they haven't figured out the questions. A perfect example....While I was in Umea recently, we went to a friends house north of Umea to hunt roedeer. We arrived and were drinking coffee when carloads of students arrived and started blowing horns and banging pots to keep us from hunting. (We don't know how they found out what we were doing.) I went and talked to one of the jackbooted young women. She was a "Vegan" and they were against hunting and eating meat. I asked her if she was pro- abortion. "Of course" she stated so I suggested she wasn't against killing just eating. She got angry like I tried to trick her. Oh well, I guess I had all the answers once also.

<Herb D>
posted
Me too!

I got my first moose (a yearling) in Wyoming this month.

Canada or Alaska will be next to put a tag on big "Bullwinkel".