Find
Notify
Tools

375 whitetail bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Strawman419
posted
I am getting a 375 Ruger, and I want to use it for whitetail. I was looking for a relatively light bullet that will perform well. I see Sierra has a 200 gr. soft point, but I was wondering how well a 235 gr. TSX would perform on deer. Is it too hard of bullet to use on whitetail? Any recommendations on bullets and loads for a 375R for whitetail would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." T. Roosevelt

Posts: 71 | Location: Toledo | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure there is one, but right now I can't think of a single 375 bullet that will not cleanly kill any whitetail ever seen or dreamed of. Pick what you like.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Speer 235gr Hot Core loaded between 2700 and 2800 fps will do it every time.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
I took a little muley buck with the 235 gr Barnes X. I hit him at about 100 yards and the bullet performed excellently. Didn't destroy as much meat as my .300 would of. Here is what the exit hole looks like. So I would reccommend the 235 X or TSX.

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a Ruger Alaskan today and plan on mild loads using 260 grain Accubonds for Michigan whitetails in November. That bullet should work for just about anything in the US.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gee a plain 270 gr Hornaday would work just fine, just like an 30-06 with 180 gr bullets for Trajectory numbers. But I would think a 235 gr Speer at a sedate 2500 to 2600 fps would be just the ticket. And very shootable out of that Ruger.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
I would stay away from the 200 grain for deer if you plan on eating any of it. I shot a coyote once with that bullet at full power out of an H&H, and I can tell you the destruction was, "impressive". Scattered pieces of coyote everywhere. I would choose a 270-300 gr "standard" bullet and who cares if it expands if you put it in the right place. I never shot the light barnes, so I don't know any feedback on that one.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Strawman419
posted Hide Post
That 235 gr. TSX looks like it did a great job, I think that might be a good way to go. Slowpoke's comment is what I was afraid of with the 200 grainers, and even with the 235 I plan on making it move no faster than 2700-2800.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest not going too light. A lighter bullet would travel faster and thus create more meat damage.

Use a 270 grain and you should be fine.

Posts: 48 | Location: Parma, Italy | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
The .375" 225 grain Hornady Spire Point is inexpensive and works well on deer, black bear and hogs driven +/- 2700 fps. According to Lonnie Hummel of Hornady it has the same jacket thickness of the 270 grain from the shank through the ogive to the tip.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
The gent known as The Slug here took a WT with one this season past. Don't know which bullet he used, but it worked quite handily, as I recall. Smiler Maybe he'll show up and shed some light for you.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would probably use a standard 270 Hornady and have used it on whitetails during the winter doe season just to get familiar with the rifle.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
The 200 Sierras I used were leftovers from when I had a Contender pistol bbl in 375 Win. Those bullets were meant to expand at the slower velocities of the 375 Win. I kind of loaded them up for giggles just to get rid of them. I think I used a "hot" load for a 270 Hornady bullet with IMR 4350. I don't remember the bullet number of the Sierra, but I remember it was a flat nose bullet.

I have used the 270 gr standard Hornady bullet on elk, and they perform just fine. I used the 300 gr Hornady also with no complaints. The 260 gr Partition didn't group well out of my rifle, but the 300 did.

I would probably use the 270 Hornady for deer, heck I even still have a box sitting on my bullet shelf. They will be fine. Of course, you still have to put the bullet where it belongs to do the job, but it will do nicely.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Strawman419
posted Hide Post
The reason I have been asking about the 200 grain Sierra's is that I am buying a 375 Ruger because I want a big bore and I figured I could load it down. I don't want to shoot the bullets at 3100 fps, I would prefer 2700 fps. I have been using 6mmRem for deer, and I want a bigger hole, it does the job, but no blood trail. I don't have anything bigger than 6mm, so I am making a big jump. So has anyone loaded down one of the 200 grain .375 Sierras?

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
I would think pushing the .375" 200 grain Sierra 2700 fps would result in some messy hits on deer. Such a load is 500 fps faster than what that bullet is normally loaded to in a 375 Winchester. If you load it down to 375 Winchester level then you essentially have a medium range proposal. The 225 grain Hornady loaded to 2700 fps will shoot well out to 300 yards and will not make a mess. The Hornady is also a couple of bucks cheaper per 100 than the Sierras.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
I used 260gr Nosler BTs until they were discontinued. Then I switched to 260 gr Accubonds - used the same load, no change in point of impact.

I ended up doing the same with my 9.3x62 - went from disc. BTs to Accubonds.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote