New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm not a VIRGIN anymore!!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I finally did it! I just picked up my first Winchester Model 70 from my dealer today. It's a Stainless Classic in 300 Win Mag. Cigarette anyone??? Wait a minute....I don't smoke! [Big Grin]

I hope it's a shooter!!! If it is, it might do serious damage to my current gun collection. If not, it'll have to go or possibly become a 338 Win Mag.

Any tips/suggestions on caring for or accurizing a Win Model 70 would be appreciated.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Right off the bat, lighten the trigger. Thankfully it's not too hard to lighten the trigger ina MDL 70, as long as you have a wrench.

Making it smooth and deliscious is beyond my scope.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got some once fired brass and even a few factory rounds you can have if I ever run into you. My .300 left here last year some time and I don't see another in the future.

Curious, how is the trigger?

Posts: 192 | Location: Mills County, Ioway | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska
I have a Classic in 300 WM also. It shoots really good groups but the Boss is really loud. I have taken a load of game with it from Australia to Africa, Canada and Western USA. The trigger was 8 pounds and I had it honed and lightened and I'm thinking about replacing the Boss with a David Gentry Quiet Brake. Be sure to use a good silicone based oil on the action because stainless on stainless will wear and become rough.
My action was smooth as glass at first but isn't as smooth now. Good Luck and I wish you as many good memories with your Classic as I've had with mine.
Hawkeye 47

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska, good luck with your rifle. Do not let ANYONE convince you that a 338 is a better choice, there is no discernible difference in killing power between the two.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska,

The Model 70 trigger is probably the easiest trigger to work on, and you can do it yourself. All you need is two 1/4" open end wrenches and a small screwdriver(flathead). The two 1/4" nuts adjust and lock the "weight" and the "screw" adjusts the travel. You kinda have to play with the weight nut and travel screw at the same time, as I have found adjusting one can affect the other. Once adjusted the Model 70 trigger is a great feeling trigger!

I have not done any further accurizing work on either of my 70's. One(300WSM) is aggin' 3/4"(3-shot) at 100 and the other(375H&H) is around 3/4"(5-shot) at 50. The 375 needs more bench time, a better scope(currently an old steel Weaver K-3 with LOTS of parallax), and needs to be moved out to 100, but it looks like a shooter!

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Many happy bangs.

I just switched from a 300 Win Mag as my mainstay hunting rifle to a 300 WSM and a 270 WSM. I started hunting with a 300 Winchester starting in around 1965 or 1966. Memory is faded, but not off too much. I have had several, all of them Winchesters, with one Kimber thrown in for good measure. All of them were shooters. All of them preferred 180 grain bullets, except the Kimber. It shot 180 grains well, but put 165 grainers into one hole and did it consitantly. A broken stock and Kimber's bankrupcy put that rifle out of commision. I sold it to a collector.

All of mine preferred RE-22. I put around 5000 rounds through my last 300 and wore out the barrel. All of it with RE-22. None of mine, including the Kimber, obtained best accuracy with full loads. Best accuracy came at 1.5 to 2 grains below max. My chrono showed that those loads were not far below listed manual FPS.

I tried RE-25 in the worn out 300. It got me through the season in 2001 with reasonable accuracy but was good for only 6 to 9 rounds before it went to hell.

If you are interested, I have a set of RCBS dies that includes 2 seating dies and a full length sizing die that have been gathering dust. I also have a bunch of brass, a few loaded bullets and some sized, primes casings. I hate to toss this stuff out, so if you load and are interested, I will make you a deal just to get rid of it.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
smallfry,

I wish that was the case . . .

Posts: 1005 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am with smallfry, have used both, prefer my .300 Win mag.

Posts: 148 | Location: Currently located in Southern New Mexico | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote