THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    UPDATED So I did a little Bubba-smithing on a solar panel

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UPDATED So I did a little Bubba-smithing on a solar panel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had bad luck with solar panels the first time I tried them. One went bad, one connection came loose, one didn’t get pointed in the right direction. Basically, I gave up on them. But I’ve decided changing batteries is a hassle especially in the middle of deer season when the cold is zapping them. So I decided to try again.

There was one panel leftover from a few years ago, but I had lost the mounting hardware. I also didn’t want a lot of cable exposed for coons to swing on and squirrels to nibble, so I headed to Lowe’s for some parts. This creation is a 45 degree angle roofing bracket; a piece of old pressure-treated fence picket cut to length; some nuts, bolts, and washers; a couple of self-tapping metal screws, and some electrical tape. The wire goes through the board, up the back of the board, and right into the hole in the feeder box. I used electrical tape because the plug that came in the hole in the feeder box was a very hard plastic that wouldn’t go back in with the wires in place—it was too hard to give any to accommodate the wire.

It’s only been in place a week, so the Bubba-smithing hasn’t really been tested yet, but the installation feels solid.

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I dont have any expirence with feeders,but it looks kind of vulnerable,to me.Looks like corn is collecting on the top edge of the board,and probably on the top of the solar panel itself.Seems a hog or coons attention would be right on that panel.Time will tell.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That exposed wire won't last after the first coon decides it needs reworking.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
It's going to get knocked off...move it to the top of the hopper.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like corn is collecting on the top edge of the board,

I don't think it is collecting, I think he actualy used individual pieces of corn as a shim. animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Y'all maybe right. The bottom of the board is about 4 feet up but it's really close to that leg. And I have had a coon skinny up the pole. When the feeder runs, it does leave a lot of corn dust on the solar panel. So we'll see.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think it is collecting, I think he actualy used individual pieces of corn as a shim.

That would take Bubba-smithing to a whole 'nother level.....

LWD

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
If this doesn't work out, get some flex conduit and mount your panel on the south side of your feeder and run the flex conduit down to the the motor. That ought to protect the wires. It wouldn't be very bubbaesque but it should work.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How can you bubba Smith widdout Ducktape????? hilbily

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's easy to "Bubba" without Duct Tape because duct tape is predated by bailing wire.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or blue tape?

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505 gibbs:
quote:
Looks like corn is collecting on the top edge of the board,

I don't think it is collecting, I think he actualy used individual pieces of corn as a shim. animal

Sweet! Smiler

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Cut some sewer PVC about 2 feet long, drill a small hole in one end, tie a piece of nylon to the hole, slide a piece of pipe onto each leg and suspend 1/2way up the leg by the nylon tied to the top of the legs. The coons shouldn't get past the pipe, they can't hold onto the loose pipe. If you leave it like it is, they'll climb up the leg, jump on the panel, and spin out the corn.

The solar mount looks good.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, so the real Bubba Smith died today. Any tie in here?

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, y'all were right. The coons got after it. It appears that they were hanging on it. The panel is now completely vertical; the bracket is bent straight down. (I took the picture with the box open and wires hanging out; the coons didn't do that.) But all the wiring is intact, and the voltmeter shows full output from the solar panel. Next time I will just attach it flat against the feeder motor box or on an angled bracket up on the barrel.

LWD

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reloader:
Cut some sewer PVC about 2 feet long, drill a small hole in one end, tie a piece of nylon to the hole, slide a piece of pipe onto each leg and suspend 1/2way up the leg by the nylon tied to the top of the legs. The coons shouldn't get past the pipe, they can't hold onto the loose pipe. If you leave it like it is, they'll climb up the leg, jump on the panel, and spin out the corn.

The solar mount looks good.

Reloader

I bought a place on a lease that came with a feeder so equipped, although he had chain in place of the nylon. 'Seemed to work great.

Leave it to our brothers to the east to know how best to handle racoons!

I have another feeder closer to home without this protection and during this drought the coons have gotten past 3 different types of wire (another Bubba-rig fail) under the spinner to empty it. Too hot and expensive to deal with it now. Nature is just gonna take its course with the deer.

Pray for rain.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote