New
Find
Notify
Tools

My First Aoudad
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I got my first aoudad this weekend. His live weight was estimated to be around 300lbs. His right horn is 28"; his left is 27". I got him at the West Kerr Ranch, which is located south of Junction, TX. He is going to look great on the wall.

PS. This is my first time trying to post pictures on this site; I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't they have bodies and legs ???Give us some more info ,gu8n range etc. Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was stalking and spotted him in a clearing at about 150 yards. I shot him with a Kimber Montana .270wsm using 140gr Winchester Fail Safe ammo. He was quartering towards me and I tried to take out his front right shoulder, but I pulled the shot and it entered through his ribs and exited next to his testicles. He ran into the brush, so I waited about 20 minutes then went and looked for blood, when I found some I backed off for about another hour, then called the guide to bring the dog. He had only gone about 150 yards into the brush, but he was in a dry creek bed, and the buzzards were already on him (If you look in the picture you can see his left eye is missing), so I caped him where he lay and left the meat for the buzzards. I was pretty disappointed in having to leave the meat because I really wanted to try some. I guess that means I'll have to go again.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He'll still look good on the wall! Nice job.

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
congrats...chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Lhook7...it will look great on your wall.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
What's one of those taste like?

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MrHawg:
What's one of those taste like?

I don't know for sure. They are a sheep from North Africa, so I assume they would taste like a mouflon ram, which I really like.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I waited about 20 minutes then went and looked for blood, when I found some I backed off for about another hour.........so I caped him where he lay and left the meat for the buzzards. I was pretty disappointed in having to leave the meat because I really wanted to try some.

So maybe 2 hours passed before recovery? That meat was just fine. Auodad meat is excellent eating, even if it has laid on the ground for 10 hours. Anyway, congratulations on your trophy.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MC,
I thought the meat would probably be OK; it was more the knowlege that I would be eating after a buzzard that put me off. Luckily one of my friends killed a smaller one and I am going to get some of his meat

one of us
posted Hide Post
One that size tastes like shoe leather. I could find no way to make it edible, ground, chili, nothing worked. I have tried smaller aoudad as well. I consider them at the bottom of the wild game scale. Backstrap and tenderloin, maybe, the rest, you did the right thing letting the buzzards have it. Although, I don't quite follow why you felt you felt you had to leave the meat.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Although, I don't quite follow why you felt you felt you had to leave the meat.

When I was in the Army, I had to go through E&E (escape and evade) exercises. On those exercises I have leterally eaten bugs, but the very thought of eating meat after a buzzard has been on it sickens me. I guess because when I usually see a buzzard, he is sitting at the side of a road eating a day old rotten skunk. thumbdown

one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Lhook7, Congratulations, that will make a great addition to any wall. beer

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
Congrats

Maybe I'll get one this weekend Smiler

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
You aren't missing much regarding the meat. It can be prepared well, but in my opinion what you have to go through just makes it generic "meat," with nothing distinctively "aoudad" about it.

RSY

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Nice ram, I also took my first Aoudad earlier this year and at the same ranch. One hell of a hunt for me! I left the meat with Ashley!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ROSCOE:
Nice ram, I also took my first Aoudad earlier this year and at the same ranch. One hell of a hunt for me! I left the meat with Ashley!

I really enjoyed the hunt. I liked being able to hunt the way I wanted to without a guide. Next year I'm going to go back after an axis.