New
Find
Notify
Tools

PA Whitetail Opener
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got back from the opening of the deer season in Pa. I was hunting with a friend's family in Potter County and had an very good time. This is the first year for their new antler restrictions and also the first time I've ever targeted whitetails intentionally. I'm from Colorado and have done lots of mulies, and the few whitetails I've taken prior to this were kind of flukes.

Anyway, I took a buck with 4 points per side and a 18 1/2 inch spread. Not bad for an area where the average buck taken last year was a fork horn. I had to spend most of a day chasing him around a hillside and finally got about a 120 yard shot wile he was peeking at me from behind a tree. Bullet took him about an inch below the ear. Good hunt. Nice people up that way and scenery was pretty.

For my first hunt in the northeast, it sure impressed this westerner.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully it's not just the luck of a "newbie"! My first day wasn't nearly as productive. I only saw 6 deer. Actually parts of 5 deer and even though I have two doe tags, the antler restrictions make it necessary to check out the heads more carefully. No shots at them. The only makable shot would have been at a buck, but he was a forkhorn and thus, illegal. Maybe my luck will change this Saturday.
Congrats on your buck.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote