Find
Notify
Tools

Animal Rights Lose to Argali Imports
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Just an FYI, even if it is an animal you don't fancy yourself hunting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Argali Victory is Final!

Tucson, AZ, July 8, 2004 - NEWS RELEASE - A victory that SCI won in the lower courts was locked up yesterday when the Fund for Animals announced their intention to withdraw their appeal of the case.

In a call to SCI�s litigation attorney, Anna Seidman, Fund for Animals said that they were going to file a motion with the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia asking the Court to dismiss their appeal.

The Fund had sued the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in 2001, challenging the issuance of permits allowing the importation of argali sheep (Marco Polo) trophies from Mongolia, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan.

In 2003, SCI and other interveners defeated the Fund�s challenge in U.S. District Court in the District of Columbia. SCI won by persuading the court that the Fund could not prove that argali would benefit if importation into the United States was stopped. Citing SCI�s arguments, U.S. District Court Judge Gladys Kessler acknowledged the conservation benefits of trophy hunting. Shortly after their defeat in the District Court, the Fund for Animals appealed the case to the Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia.

SCI President John Monson said, �The withdrawal of the appeal means that SCI�s victory is now complete, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service can continue to issue permits for argali trophies.�

Kevin Anderson, the Chairman of SCI�s Legal Task Force, said that, �the opinion should serve as a warning to animal rights groups that SCI will successfully defend the right to hunt.�

SCI Executive Director Tom Riley called this, �another significant victory for hunters nationally and internationally, and for the argali, which will benefit from the funds provided by hunters. SCI, First for Hunters, will continue this type of litigation for hunters and conservation.�

SCI was joined in its efforts by the U. S. Sportsmen�s Alliance. Also successfully intervening and defeating the Fund�s challenge was the Foundation for North American Wild Sheep and other conservation groups and interested individuals.

Safari Club International is the leader in protecting the freedom to hunt and in promoting wildlife conservation worldwide. This chapter driven, nonprofit association is a tireless advocate for the world�s 45 million sportsmen and sportswomen, who, through legal hunting, annually drive more than $1.7 billion in funding to conserve all wild species. For more information, call 520-620-1220 or visit www.scifirstforhunters.org.

The SCI Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that funds and manages worldwide programs dedicated to wildlife conservation, outdoor education, and humanitarian services. For more information on any SCIF program, call 877-877-3265 or visit www.sci-foundation.org. To see recent, notable conservation initiatives advanced by the SCI Foundation and SCI Chapters visit www.safariclubfoundation.org/pr/conservation.htm. These 61 projects alone represent a $7.5 million wildlife investment.

The record-breaking SCI 32nd Annual Hunters� Convention hosted more than 17,000 sportsmen from 50 countries. Thanks to over 1,300 top exhibitors helping hunters realize dreams around the globe, and to some 1,100 extraordinary auction items, the Convention raised over $10 million for SCI, the SCI Foundation and SCI-PAC, the political action committee amplifying SCI advocacy efforts for hunters. To register to attend SCI�s 33rd Annual Hunters� Convention, in Reno Jan. 26-29, 2005, call 888-746-9724 toll-free or visit www.scifirstforhunters.org.

(520) 620-1220 x335

dnagore@safariclub.org

Posts: 19558 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And that folks, is why I'm a member of SCI and encourage every one of you to join as well. While I'll probably never have the money to hunt a Marco Polo or any other argali, at least somebody will because the opportunity still exists.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too, Mac but apparently news like this does not impress the average hunter. I sure figured there would be more response from the masses here.

Posts: 19558 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I am glad for one! I never understand those hunters who write in to magazines complaining about exotic hunting stories, those are what dreams are made of man!

Posts: 2360 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not only that but when the rights idiots lose on something like this it sure takes the wind out of their sails. They are going to lose even more here on our own hunting grounds as well. So no matter where you live and what your "game" is, this is a worthy organization to belong to and support.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Thank god they won. I'll be there in 2006, but for ibex. If them darn bunny huggers stopped the importation of Argali, then they would probably see what else they could stop. There are already plenty of Argali you can't. I never understood why they have animals you can hunt, but not import. I feel if the country allows them to be hunted, then they should be allowed to be imported into the USA.

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ann,

I am a Life Member of both SCI and the NRA.

Fighting idiots like PETA and the like is worth every effort we can muster.

If they are given any choice, we would all be eating grass!

I am going to celebrate, and have a 24 oz T-bone steak tonight

Walter is asking for 2 now just for himself!
He says he will just have the steaks, no trimmings for him.

Posts: 68773 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear we won one...
I'll be joing SCI as a result of this thread, as a life member. Am now a Life Member of NRA.
Thanks guys,
Don

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I'm also an SCI member. I love their magazine that comes around every other month.

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SCI wins one. I'm a Life Member. Hunting Argali is not cheap, but I have several friends who have done it. I don't consider most of them rich; it all depends on what's important to you.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote