Find
Notify
Tools

pic of my speedgoat
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here is my pic of my speedgoat. web page

Posts: 493 | Location: GEORGIA, U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
scrappy,

Congrats on the pronghorn!! What is the story behind the hunt????

I leave Friday for west Texas for my antelope hunt.

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, it really happened kinda fast, I arrived a day early to meet with the guide and do some scouting. The guide showed up around 4:30 and off we went. After a short drive we were looking for antelopes. We drove down all the side roads glassing. The rut had just started so bucks were pretty easy to find. In that part of UT there is quite a few oil tanks to give us a elevated advantage. The next day we left before sunrise to head out. As the sun was coming up the bucks were chasing does. I passed up about 9 bucks in a 3 hour period. We saw some antelopes about 1500 yds off the rd. We parked and proceeded to take a better look. We got about 800 yds from these goats. There were 6 does. The buck had his own little harem going on. The buck thought someting was not right and took off. The does stayed. We low crawled through the sage brush and cut the distance to about 350-400yds.The buck could not stand it. He came back to his lady friends wide open! Luckly the does were still there. The buck gave me a perfect broadside shot. It was all over but the pictures. He is not the biggest goat but in his little area he was the man around there. He measured 13 inches and was pretty heavy. Good luck Bob hope you do good.

[ 09-23-2002, 05:09: Message edited by: scrappy ]

Posts: 493 | Location: GEORGIA, U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very kewl pic!!!! Nice job on the stalk and shot. Just curious...what gun/load did you use?

[ 09-23-2002, 07:38: Message edited by: Nebraska ]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations scrappy!
Enjoy the steaks!

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska, I used my 25-06 with 100gr nosler ballistic tips. Imr 4831 50.5 grns of powder.

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
scrappy,

Thanks for sharing the details. It sounds like a great hunt and a good stalk. I have my knee pads all ready to go.

Good Hunting,

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scrappy,

Nice Buck. Antelope hunting is my favorite big game hunting...........unless I'm hunting something else. Seriously though they are really fun to hunt and we LOVE the meat. It's our favorite of all big game. Secret is to keep it clean and take care of it soon. And forget about gut shot antelope. These are the ones that has given pronghorns the reputation of bad meat. We head out in a couple weeks for speed goats and we have 10 tags! I have lots of girls that love to hunt! Congrats! Keith

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keith,
I used to live in Glendive when growing up (long time ago) and my dad always said if they were hit and ran a long distance they werent fit to eat. Any validity to that? I remember some very good antelope and some bad, just was too young to remember what transpired. When I was going to school in Bozeman I took a few around Livingston and they were excellent.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Customstox,
I believe the key is proper care of the meat after the kill. My first(last)goat was an archery kill, but I had to work for him and chased him about 1 mile before I finished him, was excellent. I figured since I had to chase him he was going to be gamey but he wasn't.
My wife Loved it and had not had Antelope before, so the myth of bad goat because he was chased is just that a myth at least in my limited experience.
A gut shot causing tained meat makes sense to me.

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,

In my experience the gut shot antelope always seemed to be the one you could bet on that would be rancid meat. And since they are so small, when you hit them in the mid section it literally blows the contents into the meat. 300 mags and 7mm's make me quiver as inevitably the hunter will hit the wrong spot. Field dressing them takes on a whole new meaning. [Eek!] I try to wash them out and I always carry 5 - 10 gallons of water for this. But, I have to agree with your Dad about his experience in chasing antelope for long distances that were wounded. Most of the time it's hungry dog meat.............

Antelope hunting is a family tradition for us and on Oct. 13th of this year it will be my 36th consecutive year of being in eastern MT on opening day for our family pronghorn hunt. My dad has shot a buck every year since 1949! The first year they issued tags in MT. Now that's a record. :-)

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Luck Keith and family!