Find
Notify
Tools

First Hunt on my Own Land
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted
I've previously posted several of the huge bucks that live in my back yard. Bucks that are 100% safe because of a prohibition of hunting in my subdivision.

After years of having to bow to a Home Owners Association, coupled with our once remote and rural homestead area being invaded by a multitude of people feeing the cites thru unchecked new subdivision development, along with the ability to cash in on rising home values, we have decided to move further out into the country.

About 2 months ago, we purchased a parcel of land, absent any HOA, and definitely NOT in a subdivision. We've not started any development yet but I did a little bit of scouting and determined we do have a deer population on the land. This weekend was opening rifle season in our part of Texas. My son and I were both tied up until this afternoon when we took to the field for our very first hunt on land we own.

He was set up on a small ridge overlooking the back corner of the land. Not being in a blind of any kind, and just sitting at the base of a tree with little cover in front of him, he was a bit exposed to the open area he was watching. Unfortunately, he received a text and while answering same, looked up to see this guy walking directly toward him. The deer spotted him almost immediately after he took this photo and if he had moved to swap out the phone for his rifle, it would have spooked immediately. As the deer had him pinned down visually, all he could do was watch it walk off to the left and disappear in the brush. Fortunately, not spooked, but just wandered off. I think he learned a lesson today about being on alert for game and answering texts later.

In any event, we now know what type of deer are on our land. And he's still out there. Hopefully, this won't be the last photo of him.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Nice buck and it looks like a very nice area you are moving to. tu2

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck.

Looks like nice property. How many acres.

Shoot first pictures later. Wink

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Good luck!

No need for cell phones while out hunting.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Very nice Texas buck! Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
In my eyes the ultimate dream,hunt on your own land,congrats,I just have to decide where my chunk of real estate will be tu2

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is not a nice buck, that is a huge buck! Congrats!

Posts: 190 | Location: rockdale, texas | Registered: 01 October 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love it that he got proof, of the one that got away!!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
In my eyes the ultimate dream,hunt on your own land,congrats,I just have to decide where my chunk of real estate will be tu2

No doubt Bill. Has been my dream for 60 years now as well.

It would have been great if my son had killed him yesterday but on the bright side, it's my turn to hunt that ridge now!!

One of Us
Picture of rgrx1276
posted Hide Post
Wow! Very nice buck. Wish we had that around here

Posts: 45 | Location: Israel and Florida | Registered: 23 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am very happy for you and thanks for sharing. I will never pay HOA fees.

I hope you feast on whitetail if your land this Thanksgiving.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW what a hat rack!

Todd, a bit of suggestion. Buy all the land

you can to add on to the place even if you

don't live long enough to pay for it. Let the

kid take over payments. Wish my Dad had done so.

Thanks for sharing, good hunting.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buy all the land

you can to add on to the place even if you

One does not get the chance to buy one's neighbors very often.

I missed my one chance and ended up with a real big city ass hole.

As a neighbor.

They really do think different then country folks.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Hunted every day except one since the photo of that buck last Sunday. Haven't seen him again. But no shots from the neighbors either so maybe tomorrow!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don’t mind answering, what county did you buy a new place in? I’ve seen my area of Erath chopped up into smaller and smaller pieces and I’m thinking about pulling up stakes.

Posts: 83 | Location: Stephenville, TX & Hamilton, MT | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WBT:
If you don’t mind answering, what county did you buy a new place in? I’ve seen my area of Erath chopped up into smaller and smaller pieces and I’m thinking about pulling up stakes.

Palo Pinto.

As to Erath, yep ... subdivision mania is rampant there as well as in Parker.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s a blessing and a curse. My property is worth a lot more than I paid for it, but I’m being surrounded by ranchettes and it’s just not the country anymore. I’m just not sure where to go. Maybe Oklahoma.

Posts: 83 | Location: Stephenville, TX & Hamilton, MT | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oof! Stud! I too am looking for a parcel on which to live the dream soon....probably Montana but open to ideas. Would love to have 1000 acres or so.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 269 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Heading out for another go at him this afternoon.

I've got a feeling about my chances this time.

popcorn

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wish you luck Todd.
Hope you see him before he scents you...
Packing a DR...??

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Good luck!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Well, a valiant effort was made but to no avail. I spoke to the 2 neighbors and showed them the photo after the season was over. Both said they have never seen this deer. As far as we know, he's still there ... growing for another year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with that. He will have another year to spread his genes around and you get another year to plan on the next hunt. When the big old guys go it can take a while to replace them.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really just half time. The field will reset, and the hunt will go on. Here is to next year. Thank you for sharing this first home hunt with us.

At the end of the day, it is hunting and not killing.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote