New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quinault Indian reservation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody know anything about the black bear hunts they have on the Quinault indian reservation in Washington state?

I talked with Bill Revis, he is the booking agent for the hunts.

Thanks for any info.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only thing I know of them is through ol Uncle Ted. He has featured them numerous times on his show. Seems like lots of bears typical bear hunt over bait. Lodging is in town Canadian resort type setting. Bear size seems to be the highside of average. Last I heard multiple tags. So you can take a bear then hunt for a monster. If it was closer I would consider the hunt.

Posts: 448 | Registered: 27 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very large bear's, I wouldn't be suprise that the top 10 black bear's will make Boone and Crocket this year. They are planning on shutting down bear hunting to non-natives in 2013-2014 depending on council votes. I am holding out for fall hunt. Check out craigslist in Oregon and Washington for fee's. I actually saw a boar almost as tall as a 55 gallon drum at the top of the head not the shoulder's blades.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted there the first year they opened up. 04-05 It was advertized as the first non-tribal hunt in over one hundred yrs. I talked to 4 or 5 of the different guides before I picked one. None at that time had very much experence guiding. First of all it is very thick, ie.. coastal rain forrest thick. Baiting consisted of a truck load of fish heads and parts dumped in a pile and a small ground blind set up 20 feet away. A tad close in my opinion. Smell was horrible. They drove me arround in the morning and showed me where I would be hunting that afternoon. I am not a novice bear hunter, I have taken bears in 7 states and 3 Canadian prov. I convinced the guides to help me move blind back about 30 yrds and to chop some shotting lanes. After a couple hours work I felt better about the set up. We came back about 3:00 in the afternoon and they droped me off half mile away to walk in by my self. I saw four bears before dark with a fifth coming in at last light. I could hardly see through the scope when I shot. Bear roared went down rolled and disappered in brush. About 30 minutes later guides showed up with another hunter they had already picked up from his blind. I told them I had shot a bear. My bear had only gone about 40 yds but it took us 30-40 minutes to find him, it was that thick. The other hunter told me he was sitting right on top of his bait and jumped when a bear looked in his blind. He used my blind next night and killed a bear about same size as mine. Both squared 6'3" and 6'5"
weight was around 350-370 lbs. Perfect pelts. Couple of other guides were filming hunts and took a monster 7'4" while I was there. Guides were all friendly and wanted to do well, very open to suggestions. I took a second bear the third night that was shorter and 50 lbs heavier,
a real porker. He was so fat I didn't relize how short he was 5'6". I have not been back but I have talked to a couple other guys and they said things were more organized

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick info.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote