THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    While Hunting biring guns inside or leave them outside

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

While Hunting biring guns inside or leave them outside
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got back from a long weekend of deer hunting on Admiralty Island in Southeast Alaska, and the weather was wet, really wet. Upon returning to the cabin my host hung his rifle in the covered area outside the cabin door. The other member of the hunting party flowed suite, and so I did as well thinking when in Rome do as the Romans do. After settling in, getting some deer, having a great time, and having our trip extended because the float plane couldn’t land in the high seas I asked him why he left the rifles outside. This started a pleasant discussion about what we thought was better for the guns, leaving them outside where the temperature, and humidity was going to stay relatively constant, or bring them into the cabin with the wood stove where the temperature would swing 30 degrees, and until the guns warmed up condensation would form on and in the guns. I did bring my rifle in every night, let it warm up and rub oil on all exposed mettle, something the others flowed my lead on. I was in favor of bringing the guns in and giving them a chance to dry out, it also gave better access should a brownie choose to visit us in the middle of the night and brake into the cabin.

Question:
So what is the thought of the group, bring the guns inside or leave them outside in the covered area?

Choices:
Bring guns insdie
Leave guns outside in the covered area
Doesn’t matter if they are inside or out

Posts: 35 | Location: Juneau, AK | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
normally lock mine in the truck where we hunt so they dont have the swing in temperature causing them to sweat

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Here's what I do. I leave a gun case outside in my car, or other suitable area to keep it dry, then after making sure my gun is dry, I put it in the case and bring it inside. The case acts as an insulator and allows the rifle to warm up gradually which prevents condensation. After several hours in the case you can remove your rifle.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2330 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This practice may hark back to when scopes were not sealed and if you took them from a warm cabin into the cold, they would fog up.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue in Texas with guns sweating. Inside with air conditioning it was a nice comfortable 70 degrees. The you walk outside, 90 degrees and 80% humidity, looked like the guns got dunked in the pool. I started leaving my rifle and anything I didn't want fogging up outside after that.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have done both a lot depends on the weather if it is really cold out bringing them in can cause lot of trouble.

If they are really wet from being out side bringing them in can be use full to dryu them and get them ready for the next day.

I have had guns freeze up after being wet then having the temp take a drive below freezing.

So if I bring them in or leave them out all depends on the weather and the weather the next day.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What p dog shooter said. Depends on weather.

Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
A few year ago, a friend of mine was elk hunting in horseback on a very snowy day. His rifle was a custom .338 that he had in a saddle scabbard.

At the end of the day he brought the rifle into the cabin and set it in a corner, still in the scabbard.

The next morning, he and his hunting partner saddled up their horses and took off before daylight. Shortly after daylight they spotted some elk in a meadow and there was a good bull in the herd.

My friend got off his horse, pulled his rifle out of the scabbard, and sat down to take a shot at the bull. BOOM! His partner said later that it sounded like a stick of dynamite going off.

My friend's rifle barrel had split lengthwise almost it's full length, and also had split the
forend of the shock.

My friend was shaken, but not hurt.

Evidently the day before, snow had fallen off of trees or wherever and fell into the scabbard. When he brought the scabbard into the warm cabin that night, the snow melted and the water "pooled" in the muzzle end of the scabbard, with the rifle still in it.

The next morning my friend tied his scabbard on his saddle and went hunting. The water evidently froze and plugged the barrel.

Moral of the story: If you take your rifle inside a warm room, tent, etc at night, take it out of the scabbard and dry it off, and put your scabbard open end down so water, etc falls out.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:
A few year ago, a friend of mine was elk hunting in horseback on a very snowy day. His rifle was a custom .338 that he had in a saddle scabbard.

At the end of the day he brought the rifle into the cabin and set it in a corner, still in the scabbard.

The next morning, he and his hunting partner saddled up their horses and took off before daylight. Shortly after daylight they spotted some elk in a meadow and there was a good bull in the herd.

My friend got off his horse, pulled his rifle out of the scabbard, and sat down to take a shot at the bull. BOOM! His partner said later that it sounded like a stick of dynamite going off.

My friend's rifle barrel had split lengthwise almost it's full length, and also had split the
forend of the shock.

My friend was shaken, but not hurt.

Evidently the day before, snow had fallen off of trees or wherever and fell into the scabbard. When he brought the scabbard into the warm cabin that night, the snow melted and the water "pooled" in the muzzle end of the scabbard, with the rifle still in it.

The next morning my friend tied his scabbard on his saddle and went hunting. The water evidently froze and plugged the barrel.

Moral of the story: If you take your rifle inside a warm room, tent, etc at night, take it out of the scabbard and dry it off, and put your scabbard open end down so water, etc falls out.

Holy crap!shocker

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always bring my rifle into the cabin. If I didn't like what was said the barrel would sweat

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the temp. diff.,if the diff. is hardly noticable,,,I take it in,,,otherwise it stays outside,,,if secure to do so tu2

NEVER THE LEAST DEGREE OF LIBERTY IN EXCHANGE FOR THE GREATEST DEGREE OF SECURITY

Posts: 141 | Location: LOUISIANA,,for now. | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like some of the others I typically wipe and clean the rifle and then lock it in the truck.

In the dim and distant past you did that to keep your scope from fogging.

I don't think there is still a scope in the aresenal that would need that treatment but keeping the rifle and scope in outdoor temps seems easiser on a wood stock and optics to me. Getting the moisture cleaned off and a silicone treated sock on the gun is what I do to keep it in good condition.

My answer would change in bear country without another weapon, I would usually have another firearm in the tent/cabin/trailer for defensive purposes.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would bring the rifle inside and remove the bolt and open the floor plate. After it reached ambient temperature, then it is time to run a rod or a bore snake down the bore with dry patches until all condensation was removed. I also make sure the chamber is dry. Running something through the bore is a good idea anyway as anyone can accidentally plug the muzzle while hunting in rugged terrain.

Posts: 182 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 12 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in s.e.alaska you bring em in and dryit out the rain will eventually wash any oil off and the gun will start to have feed and rust problems
in interior ak where it gets below zero you leave it outside as condensation will freeze when you take it outside,also oil will thicken and cause problems ,
air humidity is low in interior ak so things left outside dont rust , in s.e. ak humidity is very high keep it inside and not in a case

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 399 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leaving a gun in extremely cold weather and then shooting it is proabably not the best setup for a rifle....having condensation form and remain on a rifle isn't good either obviously...so I sid e with the group of bring em in, wipe em down, and make sure they stay dry and then take em hunting with you and let em cool down or warm up just like you do Smiler

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
If it didn't get wet it stays in the truck.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
I had the same issue in Texas with guns sweating. Inside with air conditioning it was a nice comfortable 70 degrees. The you walk outside, 90 degrees and 80% humidity, looked like the guns got dunked in the pool. I started leaving my rifle and anything I didn't want fogging up outside after that.

tu2 +1

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote