Find
Notify
Tools

One shot ended my season today
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted

Well, I ended my season today by filling my “spike/at least one unbranched antler” tag. I saw this buck a while back but never had the opportunity until today. Like always, my 6.5 Bullberry IMP – with its 26”/1:8 MGM barrel -- performed perfectly, as did the 129 grain Hornady SP. And although the exit was a little large, the bloodshot meat was absolutely minimal, even though there were a few smaller exits from secondary bone fragments (there wasn’t a sliver of jacket material or lead to be found anywhere). He should make for some fine table fare.

I am grateful not only that I was able to hunt a couple of times but that I had the opportunity to take two bucks this year – and that I was able to do so without leaving home. My health problems caught up with me when I took the buck below, and I had to give him away as I simply could not complete the butchering process. Today, however, I made it through fine. The buck is skinned, gutted, has the feet removed and is about ready for me to begin cutting up the meat and putting it on ice.

And while the bullet neatly took off the very top of the heart, there was plenty left for me to have a nice breakfast. I’ll slice it up and saute it in butter with sweet onions, a hint of garlic, salt and pepper. And tomorrow night, we’ll be enjoying those backstraps...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9376 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Mr. Tomek on some great deer, and best wishes for your health in 2010!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Oh hell, Bobby your a good photographer and deer killer.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
The consistent manner in which drop game is starting to really annoy me...LoL

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As usual, great post and pictures. Hope you get the health problems straightened out soon.

Posts: 172 | Location: DAPHNE, ALABAMA | Registered: 26 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
A good year. Nice work.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good job deer of that size are normally very good eating.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NICE!!!
W.Smiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and ah.... well bobby....
what time did you say dinner was????
thanks for your posts and the great ballistic followups.

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
Good job Bobby, again....

That rifle should be a part of deer and hog mythical legend like EXCALIBER.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The consistent manner in which drop game is starting to really annoy me...LoL

And with those dinky little woefully underpowered cartridges too! What if that spike had charged!!!

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I think we should all pitch in and get Bobby a proper rifle...

Like a 300 RUM...so he can shoot 150 grn ballistic tips at 3500 fps...

God knows you can't kill anything with a standard cup and core at 2650 fps and an SD of .26

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby, good on ya! Sorry you've still got some health challenges, hope you are making progress on that front.

Great photo's and intel as others stated--thanks for the share.

Hope you have a good new year!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,
great job on the deer (as usual) as well as the story and photos.
I find that I'm tending towards the 25's, 26's and 7mm more and more and with the exception of my 9.3 x 62, away from the magnums. Seems stuff shot with velocities between 1800 and 2700 fps do not seem to have the amount of bloodshot meat the faster rounds engender.
Picked up a bsa martini the other day, it was chambered in 30-30. I'm thinking about having a 6.5 improved barrel done for it.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
I am grateful not only that I was able to hunt a couple of times but that I had the opportunity to take two bucks this year – and that I was able to do so without leaving home. My health problems caught up with me when I took the buck below, and I had to give him away as I simply could not complete the butchering process. Today, however, I made it through fine.

Read all the articles by Ray Peat:

http://raypeat.com/articles/

Stop all vegetable oils, junk food using vegetable oils or reseteraunt food using vegetable oils. Eat only extra virgin olive oil, organic butter and coconut oil as your fat sources.

Eat raw dairy products like soured raw yogurt with baked potato and coconut oil/salt

Eat pure grey ground sea salt with food.

Le Paludier is one of the best brands of sea salt.

Drink fresh raw orange juice. You can buy a juicer for $50.00

Eat pure sugar as sweetener. Buy Wholesome Sweetners brand. Stay away from high fructose corn syrup(has mercury) corn syrup, cheap Rodgers white sugar etc. Make chocolate milk with this sugar and tsp of powdered cocoa, make cheese cake with this sugar, make cakes etc. if craving sweet things:

http://www.wholesomesweeteners...d_Organic_Sugar.html

Eat Gelatin as written about by Peat. Get "Kosher" Great Lakes or buy chicken feet etc. and make stock:

http://www.greatlakesgelatin.c...n%20Order%20Form.pdf

Eat soft boiled eggs with salt and coconut oil. Eat fish like baked pollack with salt and light drizzle of coconut oil. Buy and use the cheap "tasteless" coconut oil. Don't use the extra virgin oil that tastes like coconut's and costs 4X as much. Omega Nutrition makes a good brand of "neutral" coconut oil.

Stop eating high iron meat like beef, lamb, pork or venison for the next year or 2.

Read this article concerning aspirin.(further down in the articles) It is the best drug man has ever discovered. I take (2) 325 mg. aspirin every day with food.

http://raypeat.com/articles/ag...n-brain-cancer.shtml

Go on a 1 day fast drinking water only each week for the next month. That means the next month, you don't eat anything 4 days that month.

After that month, go on a 3 day water fast drinking water only with a tiny bit of unheated honey(Reallyraw.com) and apple cider vinegar(Bragg brand) Do this 6 times the next year. That is a 3 day water fast w/honey/apple vinegar every 2 months.

After the year is over and you are doing your last 3 day water fast, eat the next week good protein foods like eggs, fish, potato w/raw sour milk etc. and drink lots of raw fresh orange juice you make yourself.

After the week of eating is up then go on a 7 day fast drinking the same honey and apple cider vinegar in the water. Eat whatever you crave after the 7 days. It could be some raw orange juice, it could be baked pollack with coconut oil, it could be some soft boiled eggs, it could be a baked potato. Resume eating your healthy food list and refrain from high-iron red meat another year(2 years total) unless you crave it. Nothing with nitrates, only natural roasts or grilled venison or stews allowed.

You should be healed after doing all this. Pancreas should be healed if you are diabetic. All tumors should be gone if you have any. Any bowel intoxication will be gone if that is the cause of your inflammation. Mostly sickness is caused from eating toxic vegetable oils and iron overload.

Red meat is good to eat once all the toxic vegetable oils are out of your system.(read the articles and you will understand)

Stop all booze. Drink lime flavoured Perrier water, cold, if craving pop or booze, including beer. Cravings for booze will be gone if eating above foods and fasting as directed. Cravings for beer or sparkling wine will be gone if drinking carbon dioxide water, cold(Perrier)

If you smoke and can't quit see the Dr. and go on thyroid supplimentation. 40 mcg 1x/per day(morning) of T4. Then take 10 mcg. of T3 (3-4 times throughout the day if fatigued or cravings for smoke happen) Peat writes about all this in the articles.

Read the bible. King James version.(Public domain. All others are copyrighted and a scam) If male read mostly Old Testament to start. If female, more New Testament to start.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada.  | Registered: 22 August 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Nice work as usual, Bobby. Congratulations!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote