Find
Notify
Tools

Advice for Texas, Pls
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
It looks like I will be getting an invitation to hunt a corporate ranch in central Texas this fall for whitetail and feral pigs. Since this is owned by a huge company, I am anticipating that it will be one of those luxury lodge, no effort type deals.

Am I correct in assuming that it will probably be hunting from blinds? With the possibility of long range shots over large cleared brush alleys? (Senderos?)

I am sure that I will talk with my hosts about it before I go, but thought that I'd ask here for general information.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fjold
You're probably right about the stand hunting, but (depending on where in central Texas you are going to be) landscape will be more oak and cedar trees. Most of the Sanderos are more south. Chances are there will be a feeder 100yds from your stand as well.
Good luck,
Robert

Posts: 67 | Location: Lubbock Texas | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And the deer will have ear tags with their names inscribed such as Dasher, Dancer, Donner, Blitzen etc. You should ask the foreman to untie yours before you shoot.

Posts: 219 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
...I am anticipating that it will be one of those luxury lodge, no effort type deals.

Ah, the myth continues. Roll Eyes But, chances are, you're right about the trip you describe, due to its "corporate" nature.

Why don't you let me know when and where you're flying into, I'll pick you up. You'll have to go AWOL from your planned trip, but I'll take you on a hunt to shatter the Texas stereotype. thumb

RSY

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Terrain varies in Texas. You may be in brushy creek bottoms or open fields. Some flat land and some rugged land as well.

The area we hunt towards the Pan Handle has alot of short oaks and Chickery(SP?) but, it's wide open for the most part. A few canyons here and there but, I doubt there will be many of those in Central TX. Be ready for stickers and thorns, I pulled stickers and thorns out of all kinds of gear after last years hunt but, we did alot of stalking. If it is a luxury hunt like you say, they'll probably drive you up to a box stand in the pickup and point towards a automatic feeder that is close by. Then, tell you what time it goes off (Here they come!).

I would be prepared for shots long or short but, you probably will have plenty of chances to get a shot at reasonable ranges. You never know when Ole' Mossy might step out 350-400 yards down a shootin' lane. I like to be ready just in case.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My guess is 35 yards, 50 tops, over a grain pile.

Brent

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you are going to have great time here in TEXAS. you will hunt over a feeder.
my advice to you is not to shoot the first monster you see, there are plenty bigger where that came from.
san angelo is famous for big bucks
sambo

we didn't get to the top of food chain just to eat lettuce.

Posts: 78 | Location: DFW, TEXAS | Registered: 06 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, that clears things up. Big Grin
I guess I'll go prepared for the worst (or best) and probably any caliber will do, so maybe I'll bring two rifles. The 7 mag or 300 for long range and the 375 H&H for piggies. After all, doesn't everything grow bigger in Texas?

jump

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fjold--Texas whitetail generally are smaller. .243 should is plenty.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Central Texas really doesn't narrow it down all that much...do you know the nearest town to give us a better idea?

'Central Texas' could be anything from Hill Country to plains to piney woods...ranchland to farmland to unimproved brushland.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
Fjold
your 7Mag is overkill and you definitely won't see any pigs worthy of a 375. As mentioned- you'll be hunting out of an elevated box blind or tripod over an auto-timer feeder- probably at 100yds.
You really don't need anything more than a .308 with 150grn pills for either the deer or the hogs.

posted Hide Post
The best way to hunt in Texas is to hitch a ride in the feed truck. When the deer come running, roll down the window and pop one behind the ear with a .38

Also, beware of snakes, scorpions, and the lady driving the feed truck!

Have fun!

Misfit

Dave Fuqua
Hill Country Rifles
New Braunfels, Tx

Posts: 1 | Location: S.A. Texas | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You will likely be hunting bait (feeder) in a blind l00 yards or so away. This is the only way to hunt many areas including most of the entire Eastern US. While its not a difficult hunt it can be a heckuva lot of fun. Take bleats, grunts, rattling horns and your video cam and have fun. When you see a 120 B&C 8 pointer with a 140 pound body he is going to look like a Monster ! Have fun. I love hunting Texas. You get to see so many great bucks !

Posts: 1010 | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My dad has been on 3 corporate hunts and has shot 1 buck. Just because the lodge has a TV and jacuzzi/gym and the deer are managed, doesn't mean they stop being wild.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Central Texas is actually missleading. The Austin area for example is referred to as Central Texas. Here in San Angelo it is 214 miles West of Austin and is called West Texas. Truth is,the exact center of the state is near Eden Texas which is only 45 miles from my location. We do use feeders and the time they go off can be set. It is an exaggeration that they come running in at that time. If you set up on a likely spot,you have about as much chance of seeing a deer there as you do at a feeder. It is my belief that the big ones shy away from feeders. I have seen very few bucks at feeders and they were small ones. Mostly does and yearlings. I do see lots of hen turkey and quail at feeders. I have seen some toms but not the really big ones.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CaptJack:
Fjold
your 7Mag is overkill and you definitely won't see any pigs worthy of a 375. As mentioned- you'll be hunting out of an elevated box blind or tripod over an auto-timer feeder- probably at 100yds.
You really don't need anything more than a .308 with 150grn pills for either the deer or the hogs.

Except for varmint guns and a retired 788 Remington that needs a new barrel, my 7 Mag is my light gun. Wink I like heavy for caliber bullets and big cases. The lightest bullet I shoot for big game is a 140 grain 7 mm and that's my antelope load.
I guess I could finish my 6.5/284 but it has a 28" barrel and should weigh about 12 Lbs, but this probably won't matter if I'm sitting in a box on stilts.

Frank

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
it has a 28" barrel and should weigh about 12 Lbs, but this probably won't matter if I'm sitting in a box on stilts

Just another 2 cents worth...

Most blinds I have hunted are around 4'x4' with a roof just high enough for my 6' self to stand up while bent 45 degrees at the waist...usually a bit rickety to boot after being used as a back scratcher by a few hundred cattle over the years...

...a long gun is waaaay to easy to bang off the walls and roof...not to mention juggle while climbing a ladder at 5AM with a flashlight in your teeth...

and yeah, the only really big deer I have seen at feeders (if they are hunted at all within 100 miles) are crossing a sendero or field 300+ yards away...so you only see them for 2-3 seconds...so a handy rifle can be an advantage even when stand/blind hunting.

The 5 most common calibers in my experience for Texas hunting are probably the same as anywhere else: .270 Win, 30-06, 7mmRem, 300Win, and .243, and a well placed .243 100 grain Nosler Partition or similar is adequate even for feral hogs!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sodakhntr
posted Hide Post
Fjold,

I grew up in the area that you are going to. I believe you will find that most of the hunters will be using a 25-06 with 115-120 gr, 280 with 140 gr, and 7mm rem with 140-160 gr. My preference is 7mm Rem with 160 part. Makes a better pig gun at 400 or so. While you will probably be hunting over a feeder, you may be able to see quite a ways.

Ted

Posts: 152 | Location: China Spring, Texas | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
what part of central texas?? I agree that could be just about any kind of terrain. Do yourself a favor check with the locals and don't leave without partaking of some of the finest beef brisket that can be had in the area.

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Don't let huntingcat BS you; he owns a feeder or two Wink. The feeders attract the does and the big bucks hang around the does. That's how it works.
If you really want a hard hunt then tell your host ahead of time and they can put you in an area where you are sure get just that. Most of them like an occaisional real hunter; they mostly get customers that bought their first and only gun a day or two before their first invitation and they put those guys somewhere sure to see a deer so they don't feel they were shuffled to the back acres because their account isn't big enough for a "real" deer.
I know, had to manage just such a place and you wouldn't believe that games that get played.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote