New
Find
Notify
Tools

West Va. Bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm thinking about making a run across the border from Ohio here and trying for a bear this winter. Any of you WV guys hunt them, know of likely areas, etc.? Thanks

Posts: 425 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
<heavy varmint>
posted
I do not hunt them but may be able to show you some descent places in my area (about 30 minutes or so from Beckley.

E-Mail me if you are interested.

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
I think most bear taken in WV are treed with dogs. Interesting bit I found out is that the dog owners have to quit participating in hunting activities when they fill their tags. Think about it, 360+ days of feeding ten each eighty+ pound high energy dogs and you only get to use them for a couple of hunts. This has created a system where the dog owners will take other hunters out and help them fill their tags while the dog owners only act as handlers and take their bear later in the season.

Moral= find some one with dogs and convince them that you shoot well enough not to endanger Fifi, Spot or lil' Woody. [Wink]

I think our guesstimates of bear population are way low, but the DNR folks are hampered by the terrain the bear live in. It's definitely "Hunting" and wear your climbing shoes.

hth
Rick

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
ive seen 3 this year -_- and one im gonna try to get. My dad shot a meduim sized one 2 years ago ith a bow before he even got to his tree stand.

Posts: 174 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With Quote