THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    North Central New Mexico Elk, what is the best time to go??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

North Central New Mexico Elk, what is the best time to go??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have never hunted in New Mexico, but my be going this fall.

What would be a better time to chase elk in North Central New Mexico, Sept 9-14 or Oct 7-12??

Is Sept 9-14 too early for rut? Is Oct 7-12 too late for the rut??

Thanks for the advice.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My choice would be Sept 9-14, should be in the middle of the rut.

Posts: 564 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The answer to both questions is yes and no.

"The rut" with any of the cervus family varies with geography and herd condition. With elk in the southwestern states the breeding season generally begins in the first half of September and ends in the first half of October, so either choice should fall within the breeding season.

Regardless of where the elk are in terms of their breeding cycle, you will usually see more bulls in the earlier season than the later simply because they have encountered less disturbance from hunters. If you go in November the breeding season will be past, but you stand a chance of seeing bulls grouped together and, since forage is less available and of lower quality than pre-frost, elk tend to have to range more widely as they feed.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
december

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TBD- what is your weapon choice? Bow, muzzloader, rifle? Also private land or draw hunt. Lots of "ranch only" hunts are more flexible on time frames. Draw hunts are more structured according to G &F regulations. Bow hunts are usually closer to the rut, muzzloader near the end with most rifle hunts well after the rut. Pm me if you like and will be glad to talk more details.

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Bulls were still talkative in the late rifle season in the Gila last fall (October 18-23). Seems they've been rutting a bit later each year, perhaps because of later rainfall. They may get fired up a bit earlier further north, but I think I'd still lean towards the October dates. Those September dates could easily be too early. I definitely wouldn't hunt those dates in southwestern NM. Lots of guys getting totally skunked that early down here.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First I would zero in on what unit I wanted to hunt. Then worry about the time/dates. A big factor of the rut will depend upon weather.

Posts: 128 | Location: Rio Arriba County, NM | Registered: 27 April 2003Reply With Quote