New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.62X39 for White Tails
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone hunt white tails and such with this cartridge? I'm thinking of getting one. I know it will do the job OK and ballistically similar to 30/30 but just curious about results on deer and hogs.

I'll use 125gr SP if I get the rifle.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Pecos, The 7.62 x 39 is more than enough for whitetails and even a little more if placement is controled. I have taken both Mountain lion and whitetails with this cartridge, 1 lion and 6 north eastern whitetails. No problem with the Nosler 150 BT's or the 125 BT's or Remington factory 125's. You will be amazed at the effectiveness, and the accuracy in a good rifle is also quite astonishing. Enjoy.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sako, I'm thinking of getting this rifle in a CZ and I understand their bore size is .311 for this cartridge. My concern is how will that work with the traditional .308 diameter bullets?

one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
Pecos,
I have used the 7.62x39 on hogs in the swamps of East Texas. I found that it worked great , with good bullets. I am sure that it would be fine for white tails. It just has a bad reputation for being a "Commie Assault Rifle" round and not an "America hunting" round. I say there is nothing wrong with a little bad reputation to liven up a party!

Posts: 153 | Location: Hilo, Hawaii | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I care more about ballistics than where the cartridge was developed. Half of America's cartridges were designed by countries that at one time were our enemies. Don't bother me!

one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
I'm with you on that. A good cartridge is just that a good cartridge. no matter who made it. Like I sead I have used it and do like it. For me it's like having a simi-auto 30-30. Grate for hogs!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't sleep well last night for thinking of that poor little rifle sitting in the rack up at the gunstore, alone and in the dark listening to all the big rifles brag about how they can shoot a bullet bigger, faster, farther, flatter, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I want to go get the little guy out of there before he gets a complex.

I think there is a CZ in my future.

one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
Pecos,
I�m proud of you for taking in that poor lonely and defenseless little CZ. Everyone needs one. I�m sure that you will enjoy her.

Bill,
Give in to the �dark side�, the 7.62x39 is your friend! Come on... I know you want to� everybody is doing it� just look a Pecos and I� we are ok you don�t see us turning commie� and the deer don�t mind!

one of us
posted Hide Post
All I gots to say about the Rooskie Round is if you go huntin' choppers with 'em, consider takin' some backup, you'll probably need it.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
Some stats.

From WW Super X Centerfire Ballistics.

7.62x39
123 gr hollow point.Muzzle vel = 2365. 100 yards = 2033.
Energy at muzzle = 1527. 100 yards = 1129.

30-30
150 gr powder point. Muzzle vel = 2390. 100 yards = 2018.
Engery at muzzle = 1902. 100 yards = 1356.

64 gr powder point. Muzzle vel = 3020. 100 yrds = 2656.
Engery at muzzle = 1296. 100 yards = 1003.

And that CZ527 Carbine weighs 6 pounds. wonder what I could do with handloads.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
Actually, I use a 30/06 or a 7mm mag or perhaps if I can ever get the thing to shoot straight, an 8x57.

But I'm looking to the future where my joints can't take the recoil. I know, the .223 dosen't have much but I have always like at least a .30 entrance hole and a bigger exit.

A 30/30 seems to recoil just as much or more that my 30/06.

The CZ527 looks to be in my future, whatever the caliber.

Only time will tell.

Meanwhile, a litle load expermination and modification with the SKS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, give in to the force. Then at least we can compare notes and swap lies about how good we are with these little things.