Find
Notify
Tools

South Texas here I Come
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted
Heading to my friend's ranch next Tues. Yeee hawwww. Bowhunting and rifle for deer, javelina, hogs, coyotes, and a bobcat if I'm lucky. Nothing better than spending time with your best buddy, hunting, relaxing, and talkin' smart. It's about 4000 acres near Carrizo Springs. Big bucks, best I've ever seen, but I will be hunting for a management 8 unless a very large 12 point attacks me and I am forced to defend myself. Here's a pic from last year, deer was aged by the jawbone at 7.5.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...a long drive from Minn. hope it's worth your trip! Let us know.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I'll fly into San Antonio and my friend is picking me up there and then it is on to the ranch. Shouldn't be too bad.

Posts: 895 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have a great trip to the great brush country of S. Texas. I will be South of you near Laredo but same type country and animals. Hope to have some pre rut activity although weather is supposed to warm up Sun-Tu period with chance of rain so you may look just like the enclosed pic.

Make sure to spend some money in San Antonio as you move through. Have a great visit and hunt.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Hope you have another successful hunt and a safe trip. I've actually heard 2 very conflicting forecasts for early next week, but whatever the weather, I hope the deer are active & moving for you. But if not, there's still a ton of other game in that part of the country...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Bobby, Shiner, TX, home of my most favorite beer, Shiner Boch. When moving to Minnesota 13 years ago the fact that I could not get Shiner here almost caused me to change my plans. Then my family promised every time the visited they would bring 2 cases. Now, thankfully, after many letters, I can finally buy it here. Some bars even have it on tap! Life is pretty good.

I woke up this morning and it was -1. There is usually a 2 or 3 day delay before the cold weather hits down your way. So maybe we'll get some colder weather after all. Last year, bout the sametime, it was in the 30-40s and overcast. And the rut was in full swing and I have never seen so many bucks, not to mention the number of wallhangers. Big bucks squaring off at each other, running does, making scrapes, it was incredible. I went through 2 mini dvds recording everything. Here's a couple pics I had handy of some better deer.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Damn, I love the south Texas brush! Nice bucks... looks like a well-managed property! Good luck to you... I will be out of Cotulla next Thursday through Sunday... middle of December and the dark of the moon... doesn't get any better!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I look at those images and all I can think about is where I'd place the crosshairs... Big Grin

As to Shiner Beer, its line and its area of availability have really grown over the past few years. At one point, the brewery seemed to be breathing its last, but the current owners seem to understand a thing or two about selective and strategic marketing.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bucks are running hot and heavy here about 20 miles east of Cotulla. They usually run a week earlier here than they do around Carrizo Springs. The weather is great and we had some sleet this morning. You should hit the jackpot next week if the weather stays halfway cool. Here is a picture of a buck my brother shot last weekend on his lease 20 miles west of Carrizo Springs. He gross scores 169 6/8.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Dang that's a nice one M16 -- congratulations to your brother.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote