New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which WSM rifle?
 Login/Join

<Gunner>
posted
OK - I'm jumping on the WSM bandwagon, going to buy me a 300 WSM. I can either get a "used, like new" Browning A Bolt Medallion for $499; or a NIB M-70 Featherweight for $550.

I'm fundamentally a cheap bastard, so the minimal cost savings makes the Browning sound better - but I've been badly burned before buying used guns over the internet. I do, however, like the theory of the short bolt throw, detachable internal magazine, and slightly shorter barrel (why go crazy with a short action cartridge then stick a long tube on it?)

I really like the look and feel of the Featherweights, but have heard numerous bad things about WSM feeding in M-70s, and the horror stories about quality control with recent Winchesters.

I'd really appreciate any input from y'all who have either (or both) of these rifles that can help me decide on one over the other.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

<Don Martin29>
posted
I am cheap too but I would buy a gun face to face from a dealer.

I would not own a gun made in Japan. They have a official policy to eliminate gun ownership in the USA.

The best price I have here on a M-70 Stainless Classic in a WSM is $680. I think wholesale is about $580 on that one.

<CoyoteSlayer>
posted
All of those quality control problems you have heard about, they are true! I work at a gun store and we are sending numerous wsm winchesters back right now. They scar the hell out of the brass if they will even chamber them at all. Buy a Browning Stainless Stalker and be done with it. I have had great reports with that gun.

<Blktailhtr>
posted
I must be a really lucky guy. I have a M70 featherweight 270WSM and have had no QC problems at all through the first 500 rounds.