THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    SCI, US bear hunting and the Farm Bill

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SCI, US bear hunting and the Farm Bill
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted
The SCI Safari Times monthly newspaper for May, 2002 just arrived at the house. The front page, above the fold story is a report that SCI's lobbyist Ron Marlenee scored a "...major bear victory for sportsmen" by working with legislators to remove an amendment to the Farm Bill sponsored by the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS).

The amendment would have made it illegal to transport bear viscera across state lines in the US.

SCI reports further that the amendment was carried by Republican Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky.

jim

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Elliot Viker>
posted
Wow! lets hear it for the sale of bear parts.

As a farmer, I am underwhelemed

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I read this a couple times and wasn't sure I understood it. I've met Ron Marlenee and consider him a straight shooter when it comes to Hunter's Rights. What does concern me is what the heck the Humane Society had in mind (motive?) by attaching anything like this to a farm bill. Sounds to me like they were trying to sneak something by piggybacked onto necessary legislation. I suspect that SCI caught them up to no good and figured out what their motive was.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Clearly, HSUS was trying to put a poison pill into important legislation. They try something like this every year.

I thinkSCI did a good thing here by mobilizing other groups and other legislators to act.

What I didn't understand why Sen. McConnell lent himself to HSUS' efforts.

The problem with putting bear viscera or bear parts (both terms were used) into federal law in the may not cross state lines category obviously has to do with
such as:

1. What constitutes bear parts?
2. Who writes the implementing regulations?
3. What enforcement mechanism is set up to enforce the
regs/law?

4. Put in your worst nightmare.

Visualize HSUS suing under the Farm Bill to enforce their view versus ours.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'd think the politico's would learn not to mess with us. Especially a man from Kentucky.
LW

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Chuck66>
posted
Elloit,

The issue is not Bear parts but one of A small group animal rights activists that want to do away with hunting all together. They want to legislate away all of our rights to hunting completely. These are people that think they are smarter and wiser than all of the rest of us.

As for the illegal trade of Bear parts it should not be condoaned at all. Go after those individual and keep them and the end user accountable and not make us pay for their transgerssions!

Chuck

<Elliot Viker>
posted
Chuck et all,
My comment was not against hunting, heck I cary a gun and shoot every day. I farm for a living in three states MN, ND, and SD. If you look at the past farm "bills" you would see a bunck of crap that has nothing to to with farming or any agri-business. My coment was mearly a reaction to the same old poiltics that we all deal with. I with hunting issues would be dealt with sepreatly as well as many other issues. And on top of that, I am very tired of people who don't have a clue as to what goes on to produce food in this country and yet they are the ones who we have to send "pac" funds to for their votes. And yes, I do let people hunt my land if they ask, but I also have seen people use my no hunting signs for rests as they shot twords my house. I'll stop ranting now, but a win for hunting is good.

<leo>
posted
Sure, it was just a sneaky way to take away hunting rights and inserted by a democrat no doubt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
According to Roll Call magazine, Senator Wayne Allard, Republican of Colorado, was honored by the American Humane Association for his work toward placing animal welfare provisions in the farm bill. Senator Allard is up for re-election in November.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote