Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico Black Bear hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
Can some of you recommend a good outfitter for Black Bear in New Mexico? I am not interested in a hunt with hounds at this point (I have nothing against it, just don't want to do it for bears).

What are some other things to consider when picking a Black Bear hunt in NM?

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wade,

Most folks hunt bear with hounds in NM because baiting is not legal in NM. Occasionally someone kills a bear while deer hunting or hunting something else if bear season is open, but that is rare.

If I were going to hunt without dogs, I would put in somewhere that has a lot of bear. Valle Vidal, Sargent WMA, or someplace like that may give you fair odds to hunt bear on foot or horseback.

There are several bear zones for bow hunting bear with a bow that do not allow use of dogs also.

You can purchase over the counter license for bear also. Check the NM hunting proclamation or NM Department of Game and Fish offices.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.vermejoparkranch.com/black_bear.php

I have been to Vermejo four times and love the place. Three times my husband was elk hunting and once we took my Father-in-law for a birthday fishing trip. Top shelf accommodations and food. Good luck on your search.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9376 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote