New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baldy Mountain Outfitters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone moose or mule deer hunted with this outfit?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I assume you are talking about Harry Luenberger's outfit in SE BC? Don't know if there is more than one Baldy Mt Outfitters, although Baldy Mt is a very common placename!

I have never hunted with that outfitter, but I know the owner pretty well, and know the territory he hunts intimately (I was the forester managing the area for 15 years and also hunt there extensively). I can vouch for the quality of the habitat and have no qualms vouching for the owner - he's a straight shooter and a stand-up guy. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You ought to check in to his brother's place, too. Steven Leuenberger runs Ram Creek Outfitters. I was there this spring. There are tons of mulies, and last year was apparently very good for them. We saw lots of moose, and I'd love to give that a try. I've been to his camp twice, and they run a great outfit. You definitely won't be disappointed with the number and quality of game. (The moose, by the way, are Shiras moose in that region.)

Posts: 143 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Steven's concession is just next door. Probably a little better for moose and about the same for deer. Both great operations.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys thumb thats the kind of info I'm looking for. What size moose could one expect to take in this area?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Remember, these are Shiras Moose, no matter how B&C classifies them! Anything over 40" is good, and anything over 50" is a hog.

I'll classify a few from Harry's website, for you. This is a pretty average/decent bull for around here:

Bulls like this are pretty common, but few get turned down as the big ones are fairly rare:

I would consider this one a good bull...

This one is a HOG for the Kootenays, but a few of them get shot every year it seems:

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Canuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Steven Leuenberger three times. I don't go back to places where I didn't have a great hunt. Nuff sed. While there, I met his brother Harry. Harry seems like a stand up guy, just like Steven. I would have no hesitation in booking with either of them. The country is drop dead beautiful, and you will see more of a variety of game there than most places. While hunting with Steven one time, I saw mule deer, whitetail, elk, moose, black bear, grizzly, goats, and bighorn sheep. Outside of Africa, this is the highest number of different species I have seen anywhere on one trip. That has to be worth something.

THE LUCKIEST HUNTER ALIVE!

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote