Find
Notify
Tools

nosler or a -frame
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
Looking at the Nosler Partition and the Swift A-Frame they look the same to me , are they and if not whats the difference between the two. Thanks Dave

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The Swift I believe has an pure copper jacket & bonded front core. The partition is a gilding jacket & non-bonded core. Typically the front of the partition will over expand & even shed. The Swift will hang together w/ greater retained weight.
I would pick a Swift for very tough game or bullets driven very fast @ close range. The partition is my choice for a shoot everything bullet.

[ 11-09-2002, 05:35: Message edited by: fredj338 ]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Ive never tried them but the A-frames look fabulous to me, especialy at medium to high velocities. I believe that they have a tougher jacket and function somewhat differently because of that. Thats why they are so pricy.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
The A-frame has a much thicker jacket. The nosler will expand easier and not have as wide a mushroom as the A-frame.

<ovis>
posted
Tanoose,

In sheep camp this past season, one client was shooting A Frames out of his 7mm UltraMag. He shot a ram at a little over a hundred yards. The ram dropped at the shot. During the dressing and caping, the A Frame was found in three different pieces. Same rifle, same bullet took a nice Artic Grizzley at forty feet and the A Frame held together fine at that close range. No knock on the Swift, just information for the discussion.

Joe

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Two weeks ago I placed an A-Frame from my .338 WinMag lengthways through a black bear, straight down the middle and exited with a one inch hole. The shot was around 80-90 yards and the 217gr (limited run bullet) A-frame at 2870fps, shattered the bones in his chest, split the heart in 2 pieces, took out the back part of one lung, turned the liver to jelly, went through the stomach (which was full of corn and oats), and onward to cause about 3 gallons of blood to spill for the 15 yards he managed to go. Over all it was over three feet of penitration.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of perfectly expanded A frames..and have used them a lot...I have found they work fine on big stuff like Buff and Eland, but I do not like them on light game like deer etc....

They all mushroom the same, a little round ball with a swell behind it..too smooth and no tearing action like a Woodleigh or North Fork or Nosler..exit holes are sometimes small and blood trails are sometimes lacking, but like most bullets you cannot make a decision on a few kills because sometimes they kill instantly, so a 20 animal kill is needed to choose a proper bullet IMO....I have shot about 50 animals with swifts on sevel safaris and this is my experience with them...Others may differ...

I like the ragged claws on the Woodleigh, the quick expansion of the Nosler and the broad cross section of the NOrth Forks...

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the difference in the two? The Swift's may be very good bullets, but Noslers work EVERY time.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not always, but sometimes the Swift will not peneratrate as far as a Nosler because it has a higher weight retention with a wider mushroom. Both good bullets.

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler is right down the road from me and I try to be loyal to Oregon business but unfortunately in my Ruger M77 .284 Winchester the Swift A-frame is the ticket. First of all, in 140 grain they are a tad shorter, important in the .284 Win, and have less lead exposed, which tends to get mangled a bit with the Noslers cycling through my action.

But most important is their accuracy in my gun. No other bullet gives me sub-MOA groups.

The worst part of this is they cost so darn much. I wish Noslers worked as well.

I've only used them on one animal - a mule deer this year. No complaints: completely destroyed the spine and one shoulder joint.

Posts: 53 | Location: Olympia, WA, USA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allan D,

I agree about supporting Oregon businesses. With the new Governor, our business community is going to need all the help they can get.

I like both bullets, but take the Nosler, since I have the most experience with it.

Ray is right about the Woodleigh bullets. They are no joke.

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I've used both bullets and like them both very much. Ray is right about the lighter skinned game though, you don't really need them. I'd pick the one my rifle shoots best and go with that one. You're a winner either way! jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote