THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    What and where to hunt in Wisconsin ?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What and where to hunt in Wisconsin ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Hi Gentlemen,

I will be travelling to Wisconsin because of business next october and I am thinking that maybe is a good oportunity to do my first hunt in the States !!

Black bear ? Whitetail, turkeys ?

Any recommendation about prices and places is welcome.

Thanks

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Lorenzo, Your choices will be limited.Bear is on drawing and can take up to 10 years to be drawn.Whitetail Bow season is open with across the counter permits available.Turkey is by drawing and you can apply online before August,Grouse and Pheasant and Duck ,Geese,Rabbit and will be open then.Wild Pigs can be shot by any method day or night.There are some High fence operations where no license is required for Big Game.
Where will you be at in Wisconsin?????

Click on here to Wisconsin DNR
https://jc.activeoutdoorsoluti.../wi_public/goHome.do

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I am going to the World Dairy Expo that takes place in Madison and I thought that maybe was a good idea to do some hunting also..

So is not possible to pay a guide and go hunting for a bear ?? In which States someone can hire a guide and go hunting without participating in drawings and that kind of things ??

Thanks for your help

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wisconsin ,Michigan,Minnesota are all by drawing for Bear.There are no Tags for Guides or Outfitters.You would have to go to Canada to buy a Tag across the counter.
I do not know if you Bow Hunt,but there are Outfitters in Buffalo County Wi.I think more Boone and Crocket Bucks come out of that area than anywhere else in Wi.Our Gun Hunting for Deer is not until Thanksgiving week in late November.

Check this out!!! http://www.buffalocountyoutfitters.com/

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much !!

I will post in the Canadian Forum to see if I have luck.

L

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
When I traveled Wisconsin several years ago regularly on business. The area north of Madison had many bird hunting farms for pheasant. It was relatively inexpensive and had the benefit of a handler and dogs.
Deer hunting is great everywhere in Wisconsin. You could look for National Forest land in the north and buy a tag and get your deer with no problem.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo--

If you are interested in bow-hunting whitetails, please let me know. I work with a guy that guides for whitetail hunts in Buffalo County, which would be about a two-hour drive west of Madison. This gentleman guides fair-chase only, no high fences, and has a very high success rate. He also donates generously to my local chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. Early October is not the best time for deer hunting in this part of the state (I live about 15 miles south of Madison) but it is a very beatiful time to be in the woods!

If you want more information, please feel free to send me a PM.

Scott Dirks

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you interisted in coming way north I can show you some bow hunting for deer.

If you want to do some ruff grouse/woodcock hunting we can do that.

A fall turkey hunt is posible but one would have to apply by Aug 1st.

If you are going to be there early frist week of october I get you in on a bear dog hunt as an observer.

Send me a PM if interisted

Posts: 19616 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,
Please consider applying for Wyoming deer, antelope and elk next year. It would be my privilege to guide/hunt with you should you draw. Expenses are on me.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Thank you very much !!! I will contact you by PM !! I am not a bowhunter but maybe I can learn !!

SBT,

I am speachless...it will be n honour to hunt with you but please I will pay whatever is needed.

Regards
Lorenzo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Illinois whitetail deer and turkey are open to bowhunting in October, shotgun turkey is a week at the end of October. I'm not sure what the requirements are for non-resident aliens though?

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
You should consider learning how to bow hunt. IMHO, if you are just looking for a quick hunt (not necessarily a trophy) you dont need a guide. If you decide not to get a guide and hunt public land stay the hell away from Buffalo county, too much hunting pressure! And stay away from very large national forests, not to say that their is not good hunting in
‘hem but they need proper scouting. I would try the lower Wisconsin State Riverway, it is close to Madison and looks promising or you could head north around Black River Falls. In any case if you hunt public land, it is better during the weekdays (wed and thru being the best) the weekends can get hit pretty hard.

Map of WI public land
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/fac...r_lands_mapping.html

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote