New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spotting Scope Power
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted a question in the optics forum about Leupold spotting scopes. I thought this might be a good spot for the next question. 15-30x or 12-40x in a spotting scope? This would be used more for looking at animals during daylight hours. It would be used in Yellowstone and on antelope hunts in Wyoming.

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I use the 12-40x60 gold ring, its a great scope, I find myself most comfortable with the scope set to around 28x above that and it starts getting a little dim, if the light isn't great. plus with much more power it gets uncomfortable, it is nice to zoom in on something however. the 15-30 would work just fine IMO but the objective is only 50mm on that scope, so the upper ranges aren't going to be near as useable. my scope has the best eyerelief of any spotter

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the 15-30 would work just fine IMO but the objective is only 50mm on that scope, so the upper ranges aren't going to be near as useable.

I've wondered about that. Would that be only in low light? I don't have much experience with that high magnification. I figure I won't be using the scope that much in low light. I've got Swaro EL 8x32's and a Leupold 4.5-14x40 scope, too. It won't be like I don't have other choices for different situations.

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KC Carlin
posted Hide Post
I would opt for the 12 X 40. The extra power will inevitably come in handy at some point.
KC

Posts: 295 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with KC, but for a different reason. Too often, and especially on antelope hunts, the heat waves have made it nigh impossible to use the higher powers. The slight decrease from 15x on down to 12x can make a big difference.

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parshal:
quote:
the 15-30 would work just fine IMO but the objective is only 50mm on that scope, so the upper ranges aren't going to be near as useable.

I've wondered about that. Would that be only in low light? I don't have much experience with that high magnification. I figure I won't be using the scope that much in low light. I've got Swaro EL 8x32's and a Leupold 4.5-14x40 scope, too. It won't be like I don't have other choices for different situations.

maybe maybe not, but sometimes that extra bit of optical clarity makes all the difference in spotting an animal as opposed to missing it all together. with the smaller scope you will most likely be using it toward the upper power ranges which will tax the smaller objective

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depending on conditions up to 45-50power is actually "useful" anything above that questionable...

And in suny calm conditions it's entirely possible that greater than 25power or so might be all circumstances will
allow, can you say Mirage?

Resolution is FAR more important.
I've seen a spotting scope with 40X that was difficult to see
22cal bullet holes in a 100yd target with.
And I've seen another (far better quality)with only 24x where seeing the same bullet holes was easy...

But there's another thing that must be said....
a shiny new "cheap" (Simmons, Bushnell, (Philipino)Burris)
is likely to actually havew better glass and thus better resolution than a 20year old leupold simply because of the advances in the machinery and techniques used to make the lenses, not to mention the lense material itself and the improved coatings used

I'm not saying this is the case when comparing all older models with newer ones, but don't be suprised when you see clear(excuse the pun) evidence of it.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Parshal-I would no doubt look at both and let your eyes tell you which one to get. Try hard to do it at the end of the day light as well as during the heat of the day and in sunny condtitions.

I would be amazed if you went with the one with the smaller objective lens.

I've an old straight 20 Leo and it is a wonderful piece of optics and is IMO one of the best pieces of optics ever made.

I've also Leo's bigger 12-40 or whatever it is and that is a superb piece as well.

If you were a serious backpacker I would consider the smaller one. Other than that I would go for the larger one.

Reason being is to get that larger objective lense.

The higher power would be nice and IMO is gonna be useful in a minority of the times. I find it very easy to use up to 30 but much past that becomes a very small part of the time when you can actually use it.

I like the higher end powers for micro mgt of G1's, mass etc.

I don't use the spotters much anymore mainly because a few years back I got a pair of the 15x56 Swaro's and those used on a tripod are a force to be reckoned with. I normally carry these and my 7x42 SLC's and feel that I have it covered quite well.

No one using a spotter can stay with a fella when it comes to finding game when a fella is using a pair of "big eyes".

I find a spotter very useful for off the rig window, and for death marches when I don't feel like carrying the weight that the 15's and my tripod give me.

When you're looking at spotters take a look at some "big eye's" off a tripod as well if you have the time. They will open up a whole nother world of spotting game.

I've used mine in hunting for myself and in guiding professionally from Alaska to Sonora and they are the hot tip for serious game finding.

Make it your best day!

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Bausch & Lomb Discoverer , 15X60X60MM it also has the option of an attachment for camera so you can take pictures of anything that you can see clearly , I have pictures of the moon craters with a 2 power attachment on my Pentax camera .

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
concho-other than being a bit big that is one excellent scope as well.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love mine and the uses are unlimited for long range sighting

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Parshal,

PM sent...

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of joedjr
posted Hide Post
I have a 25X fixed Leupold and I like it. It's real light in my pack and good enough to judge game at a good distance. No mirage ever due to the lower magnfication

Posts: 310 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote