Find
Notify
Tools

Antique Mule Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
VERY cool post - the deer, the cars, the chains on the cars, the rifles, the hunters' garb. On some, the clarity of the picture is amazing for the time. Are these family pictures? Give us some background history.
Thanks for posting.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I've always just collected these. I have a few originals I've picked up at garage sales and such, but most are just digital copies I've gotten via e-mail or from friends. I love them.

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
My dad had a '15 Dodge that, before he had it, was a "hunting car". I have pictures of my grandfather with deer (small, central Texas deer) strapped to a similar vintage car. The second to last picture, the guy with the cap and the cigarette in his mouth; holy moly that buck I don't think I could pull the trigger on 'cause I'd be shaking too bad.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna post some whiteail pics when I get a few minutes.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Many Thanks for posting these and the White Tail pics, brings to mind the real reason people hunted deer and did not worry about point scores.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I think this is a great picture.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Yes it is a great picture. Do you have any info on where it was taken or when?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice, thanks for posting!

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
DC: Thanks for sharing those wonderful images. I really like that one hunter's Remington Model 8. It looks like the spread on the young smoker's buck is close to 40 inches. Gad!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could almost lose sense of time and place looking at those. Might have to break out my gps to find my way back
Thanks for posting those pix
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
Yes it is a great picture. Do you have any info on where it was taken or when?

No idea where or when it was taken. In a weird way I kind of like the mystery of not knowing anything about some of these pictures. It's fun to try to piece a story together in your mind. I believe this picture is of the same hunters. I wonder if this picture was taken post WW11. Hat is maybe merchant marine?

One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
Here's another. One day when I have time I will put together a web site and try to get some of the best photos uploaded. I have over 500!

This picture looks like it was posed and probably taken by a professional photographer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed that......and look forward to seeing more.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Truly outstanding. You should put together a book, I'd buy one right now!
It's funny, looking at these, you can almost smell the woodsmoke...
I wonder what kind of legacy in print/photos/video we're leaving the next generation.
Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is some cool stuff
thanks for sharing clap

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Thank you for taking the time to post these photos. I like looking at these older photos. They remind me of why I go into the woods.

Tim

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting these great old photos. Some awesome bucks in the pictures. I would love to shoot one like the non typical in the first picture.

Greg

Posts: 201 | Location: Sonoma, California | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I want a pair of those boots.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Those are some great photos. BUT that first buck is shocking. That's the perfect case of where the various scoring systems fail. That buck probably wouldn't do that well in the "books" but how could it be any more impressive? Very cool.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
At the Star restruant in Elko there are a couple of old mule deer photos that are monsters.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Very cool !!!!!!!!!!!!
Please post more.
Elks ? bears ?

Thanks for sharing thumb

What a wonderful idea you gave me, I will start also to colect old pictures. I remember that being a child I saw one of one of my grand father's brothers with one of those old cars and 13 pampa's deers!! He was grabbing a 44-40 winchester.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
AWESOME PHOTOS!!!

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU....

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote