THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Judging Trophy Elk. How wide's an Elks butt?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Judging Trophy Elk. How wide's an Elks butt?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need some help judging width on elk. I normally hunt public land, and usually shoot the first branch antlered bull that I see, but this year I got a trophy management tag and need to be a lot more specific. I judge elk fairly well based on tine length, but seem to always get the width wrong. I'd like to compare the antlers to the width of the elk's butt to be able to judge the actual width. I've never actually measured one, does anybody have a reasonable approximation? I'm guessing 18-24 inches. What would you guess they measure across the chest?

Posts: 130 | Location: Montana | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good thing only boys have antlers because I'd hate to see all the girls walking around saying "Do these antlers make my butt look big?" [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska, you are responsible for a mouthfull of diet coke all over my computer desk. That was so choice. Thank you for lightening my evening.

BTW, elkhntr, I haven't got a clue but seriously doubt it is over 18. The depth of their chest vertically is around 24.

[ 11-01-2003, 07:08: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote