New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in Bolivia
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There�s a good chance my next contract will be in Bolivia. Anyone have any hunting experience there? Gun laws? Animals and birds that are legal? Any info appreciated?

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob:

I just went to Yahoo and typed in "Bolivia hunting" and got back a bunch of websites. They mostly involve doves and pigeons. Of course, all of them promise the "best in the world". I didn't immediately see any offering hoofed game. You might try the same thing with google or Alta Vista or any of the other search engines to see what you get back.

Have fun down there if you go, and be careful. Remember, that's where Butch and Sundance met their end.

Have you ever had a chance to get over to Hamlin for that #2 shot?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Stonecreek, Thanks. No, I didn�t make it to Hamlin. My wife broke her kneecap last month and I was trying to get ready to come down here so had a very hectic six weeks. (see my last reply under the giant Schnauzer thread on the dog forum) I should be back to Breck the last week of Sept or first week of Oct and will make a run to Hamlin if your friend still has the shot. Thanks for that too. Keep your powder dry.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys,

Unless they changed there mind in the last couple of weeks, there is no "big game" hunting in Bolivia. There are alot of Buffalo in the Pampas areas but no hunting. There is alot of bird hunting. The state dept. is not thrilled with U.S. citizens partaking in commerce with Bolivia thou. They will not stop you, just not thrilled.

Posts: 174 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Mehaffey:
I should be back to Breck the last week of Sept or first week of Oct and will make a run to Hamlin if your friend still has the shot.

No problem, it will be there.

Hope your wife is doing okay! If you would pay your loan shark on time maybe he wouldn't feel compelled to break your wife's kneecaps. [Wink]

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Get in contact with Richard Powell, he is an ol'AR member and he have been there two times. You will find some big game there (deer, tapir, etc).

Pampas area in Bolivia? maybe they call pampa to some open place there, but the only pampa I know is in Argntina and you have two types, the humid one and the dry one.

Good luck
LG

[ 08-22-2003, 20:26: Message edited by: Lorenzo ]

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks E.O., I was hoping to hunt Jaguar. I know there�s a large Jaguar population there. I�ve read about cattle ranchers having problems losing calves to Jaguar.

Stonecreek, she slipped and fell. I didn�t have a loanshark but need one now. The doctor, hospital bills are about $20,000. She got canceled on her insurance and we were in the process of getting another company. Now my trip to Africa will be in 2005 instead of 2004. [Mad]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gracias para la ayuda Lorenzo, Saludos, como contacto esta Senior powell? Tienies su email?

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Bob,
He usually post in the african forum and in the rest of the world forum, maybe if you click in his profile you will find his e-mail.

Just in case I will look for his address and send it to you, give me some time.

Good luck
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lorenzo

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot doves and pigeons with Erlan von Sneidern in Bolivia two years ago. If you are going to be there anyway, check with Trek International, The Detail Company, or Classic Sports International, for bird hunting opportunities there.

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wayne, I did a search as Stonecreek suggested and found a bunch of Bolivian hunting sites in including Trek. One stated trophy Jaguar and other big game so I guess I get my wish.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected on my poor use of wording.
-pampas-
I am referring to a habitat type not a specific geographic area. My mistake.
Yes, Jag is hunt there but not for a U.S. citizen, and the U.S.F.W. will not allow importation of a trophy. I think that Marsh Deer (looks sort of like a Muley) are totally protected right now and certainly not allowable by U.S.F.W.

Posts: 174 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob Mehaffey: a pampa is any flat chunk of land, even at a high altitude. Both the jaguar and the marshes� deer (in Spanish jaguar or yaguaret�, scientific named onza palustris, and ciervo de los pantanos), are protected species.
In Argentina both are in the verge of extinction and hunting is forbidden, heavy fines involved (in the order of $ 100.000). I don�t know the Bolivian status of these animals but wouldn�t be surprised if hunting is also forbidden.
Be careful

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nainital, I appreciate the information. My best friend is from Argintina and he has explained the "pampa� to me. It was Lorenzo who questioned whether Bolivia has a pampa.

<PostDriver>
posted
Bob, you might well check with USFWS about the jaguar. I don't think they're importable right now. If I'm wrong, I'll be very interested in what you find out about the hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everone for the info. I was told yesterday that a hunting friend is already in Bolivia. I fired off an email to him. He says that when a farmer loses a calf to "El tigre" he gets permission to kill the Jaguar so it�s possible. Postdriver, I�ll check on importing the trophy. Thanks. My friend also says you can walk in a gun store and buy a shotgun or rifle up to 22 mag and other guns are available from individuals. He didn�t know about temperory gun import regs but says it�s so easy to get one that he doesn�t know anyone who has imported one. Again, Thanks. [Wink]

<richard powell>
posted
Bob, Lorenzo just e mailed me and told me that you were haring it off to Bolivia ... I hunted there a couple of times in the mid 80's... A chap from Florida was offering 'jungle hunts' ... 2x1 .. all inclusive including airfare from Miami for $1.295 each if I remember correctly .. He actually promised all kinds of things .. but being merely a non hunting travel agent - he really didn't have a clue.. The first time I went - was right in the middle of the rainy season .. I had time off then (I'm a teacher) and asked if the time slot in late December, or Easter or July/August was O.K. (This was September) ... He said late December was great ... The first thing that the guide said to me was, 'Why do you come now ? It is the rainy season !! '' Grrrrrrrr! It sure in the hell was... Every day it rained for about 4 hours .. Hunting was really tough .. My lady knocked off a white lipped javelina .. we shot a couple of gray foxes ..a caiman that was swiped by some hungry dude, I reckon, and I whacked a nasty snake that was so spooky that the guides wouldn't even touch it .. dead !!! I hate to fail at stuff .. so I arranged to come back in August ... This was all real jungle hunting and we shot tapirs ... hochis, broquet (sp ?) deer, javelina, and a bunch of doves ... Everyone was carrying a 16 gauge single shot shotgun of Brazilian manufacture in the jungle, it appeared. And if something appeared - it was shot for supper ... Certainly one of my most interesting hunts ... and also - both times I felt lucky not to get sick from some horrid jungle bug .. Speaking of bugs .. they are there ... We never got a jaguar .. of course that is why I went .. We heard one call .. heard a pig scream one evening and the guides assumed a jaguar had nailed it .. ?? I still don't have a jaguar .. but damn it - I tried ... And maybe some day .. if I can get if figured out how .. I'll try again ... Good luck, amigo .. and if you need any more answers that might come from me - feel free to sound off !!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Richard, I really appreciate the information and thank you too Lorenzo. I�m looking forward to hunting the Jaguar especially. Regarding the bird hunting how expensive is shotgun ammo?

I�ll post any new info I get. Again, thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might get a permit for a killer Jaguar,in Central or South America but you won't be able to bring the skin to the States,USFW won't allow importation of ANY Jaguar skins or parts into the USA and will not issue any permits,they are under apendice 1 and 2.You can do a dart hunt, you will have a gorvernment vet with you,is done the conventional way,with dogs,and when they tree him,you will shoot him with a tranqualiser,take pictures,the vet then checks the cat,takes samples and blood for their study and give the cat an antidote and off he goes.

Fernando

Posts: 66 | Location: Bethel New York USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That`s interesting Fernando. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me get this straight, you can kill a jaguar, but you can't import him, does that mean you didn't kill him? [Big Grin]

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob: you hunt a jaguar in the jungle in one of two ways: following a pack of hounds until they have him treed (not very sporting in my opinion) or from a "sobrado". A "sobrado" is a blind over a tree which dominates a salt deposit or a live bait, usually a goat. That is, you hunt him like the "pukka sahibs" used to hunt tiger. By the way, a "sobrado" is fully open and a jaguar can jump easily 10 feet...and shooting normally takes place at night. Moreover, some of them weigh more than 440 pounds and are full of fight, don�t think for a moment that you are following a catamount.
A brocket deer translates into "corzuela parda".
Waidmannsheil!

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob por favor envaime un e-mail y te pondre en contacto con un amigo en Bolivia , para caza / armas .

Saludos

Daniel

Posts: 332 | Location: Cantabria Spain | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nainital ,, Thanks for the info. Years ago I read a book about a hunter who hunted Jaguar by provoking a charge andkilling with a lance, supposedly a true story about a Brazilian hunter. From the information in the book I deduced he was a "little" more agressive than a mountain lion.

Danial, Enviar un email orita, muchos gracias para esta contacto.