Find
Notify
Tools

Some Kentucky results
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
My brother shot a big bodied 9 point for the first deer taken on the new Kentucky property since I bought it. He used my Ruger No. 1 rifle with the Barnes 110 grain TTSX bullet and took one shot at about 275 yards. It weighed well over 200 Lbs and the backstraps were almost three feet long. The tenderloin on the right was as big as a Cali blacktail's backstraps.

Two of my daughters got their first deer, a forkhorn buck and a doe using their AR15 rifles and the 64 grain Winchester power point deer ammunition.

The oldest put a 64 grain Winchester softpoint through a doe's heart at about 170 yards

The middle daughter dropped a rutting forkhorn buck that was chasing a young doe behind the barn. Here he is, chasing the doe through my backyard.

I've been holding out for a couple of special bucks and helping everyone else get their deer so I may wind up with tag soup this year. The gun season closes today and it's been blowing sideways all day. I may have to buy a crossbow.

These are the bucks that I've been hunting.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12625 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well at least your daughters are keeping you in venison. Wink

After 54 years of shooting deer I found that if one wants to eat venison one shoots the first legal deer that walks by.

Then one can worry about horns.

Posts: 19497 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While the rifle season, especially in the Eastern Counties is short, Ky lets one bow hunt from September through January.

The state, especially Bluegrass and Western Counties, produce big antlers, the entire state produces big body deer. 200 pounds walking for a 2 1/2 year old buck is normal.

I am very glad you and yours are enjoying your property.

Posts: 11665 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What round was your friend using the Ruger #1 using. The 223 round sure put a hole in that heart, huh. Regular deer season (Rifle/ shotgun, depending on where) just started here yesterday. But early MLer season gone, and late MLer season coming and then late rifle season.

How many deer you allowed out there? OH, we can now used straight case rounds where shotguns were required.

Good luck to y'all on your own deer hunting.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the way to get started on your new place Frank. I'm delighted to see your family's success. The venison looks great. Happy days.
Hope those big guys stick around if you end up getting a cross bow.

BTW, did the cheque from Larry reach you ?

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2062 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tysue:
What round was your friend using the Ruger #1 using. The 223 round sure put a hole in that heart, huh. Regular deer season (Rifle/ shotgun, depending on where) just started here yesterday. But early MLer season gone, and late MLer season coming and then late rifle season.

How many deer you allowed out there? OH, we can now used straight case rounds where shotguns were required.

Good luck to y'all on your own deer hunting.

It is based by region and season. KY is divided into 4 zones. Zone 1 the Western Counties you can kill 1 Antlered deer and unlimited Antlerless with any Weapon that is open.

Zone 3 is Antler and 2 antlerless. However, only one antlerless can be with modern firearm or muzzle losder.

Zone 2 is 1 Antler and 3 antlerless with any open weapon.

Zone 4 is one Antler and no antlerless with modern firearm, but to can take 1 antlerless during bow only season(s) or late December muzzleloader.

The entire state, regardless of zone, is 1 Hunter, 1 antler tag.

We do not have “buck” and “doe” tags. The permit is antler and antlerless. A button buck as long as nine is not through the hide is an antlerless deer.

During Modern Firearm ant centerfire firearm is legal, but full metal jacket ammo is not permitted. So, you can and folks have shot and even killed deer with 30 Carbine, 45 ACP, and 22 Hornet. I have seen it all.

By brother before he died killed a 2 1/2 year ten point at 20 yards with a 22 Hornet straight down between the brown tines. I was still not impressed as it staggered for a 10 count. I saw a big 250 pound 8 point killed by 2 magazines from a Clot 70 Series 1911 with Hydro Shocks.

https://app.fw.ky.gov/seasondates/

Posts: 11665 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My Ruger No. 1 is chambered in 270 Win

Grant. I got the check. Cheers!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12625 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maryland only two sections. A & B. A essentially the Mountains and not as many deer per hunter allowed there. I don't have the newest regs, so can't Quote them. Few years back, Area B, where I live, was a buck and unlimited does. Could bet another buck (antlered) tag, once a couple does shot. I'll see if I can find the Md hunting regs site and send it along. When I was a kid, never saw deer here. a few years back hunting all 4 (5 with bow), you were allowed 40 deer. I doubt anyone ever shot, or tried to, that many, though I did know a guy who shot all he could and donated them to poor folks.

Fjord, thanks for the info on the #1, Sent your story to a friend in South Africa so he could see the country side out there, and some nice deer.

Back in 1959, had just turned 18, and got my first Whitetail , out in what's now area A (no different areas then. Season a week long and allowed ONE buck for the year). I got a buck that year, one of only 1200 total.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, here the current Deer hunting regulations for MD. I have not been out for a few years due to a stroke that messes with your ability to walk , et. But looks like we still able to take a pretty decent number of deer.

Deer Seasons & Bag Limits - eRegulationshttps://www.eregulations.com › Maryland
Designated Rifle, Shotgun and Handgun Counties and Areas For Firearms Season Deer Hunting · is 21 years old or older. · possesses a valid Maryland hunting license ...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I was a kid, never saw deer here. a few years back hunting all 4 (5 with bow), you were allowed 40 deer. I doubt anyone ever shot, or tried to, that many, though I did know a guy who shot all he could and donated them to poor folks.

Sounds like they need to allow market hunting again.

Posts: 19497 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Eastern Counties had a small population crash when I was in college. My home farm is 500 acres. It holds 7 different does.

Before that crash we were Zone 3 and could kill two does with any weapon open (Zone 3 was less strict back then). The estimated herd before that crash state wide was 800,000 animals. The property held 22 different does.

There is a lot of poaching in the Eastern Countries because properties are very secluded and hard to access/view making land owner policing difficult. They are Henry smaller than Western KY.

Western KY is corn rotation farming much like the Midwest. It is also Amish country. The Amish are hard on deer. That is just a true observation. Zone1 counties bc of that agriculture can more or less take it.

I was told that in 80s many Eastern Counties did not hold a modern firearm season.

I was also told that KY deer were seeded with deer from Virginia and Wisconsin. I need to confirm that but never have.

CDW was discovered in KY for the first time last year 2021. CDW has not been found past this far Western County. There is a block of 5 counties that have special CDW regulations.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nice job so far. Always good when your own property can produce. Hope you get that bruiser buck.

~Ann

Posts: 19432 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I may shift my aim to this guy who shows up every couple of days. He's got 4 points on his right antler and a club on the left.

Frank