New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Hunting Rig
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am in the process of finishing my new South Texas hunting rig. I won't have time to camouflage the truck this year. The stand on the back goes up to an eye level of 21 feet with the push of a button. It has a 200 pound electric remote control feeder. A Warn 9000 XDI reciever mounted winch. Here are a couple of pictures.

What do I need to add?

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like quite an invention. What is it with white tail deer; do they never look up or do they just think its a tree? Good luck. Gary T.

Posts: 112 | Location: Eugene, Oregon | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
#1 An umbrella?

#2 Take a look at how the USAF does camo on it's planes...blue on the bottom and gray on top. The sky will be your background.

#3 I assume it already has a toilet and wet-bar

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey M16, Nice rig. They are not legal where I hunt unless you have a special Handicap Permit, but that is not a slam on your outfit.

I like a roof on my permanent stands because I tend to hunt in a lot of wet weather. Looks like it would be easy enough to add one if that interests you.

By the way, is it possible for you to attach a rope to the bottom of the stand and use it to pull a Deer into the bed for transport?

Does it just slide out of the bed, or do you hang it like a Topper when you want the bed empty?

What kind of tires are you running?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That's a long lever to be sitting on a spring loaded chassis. Do you block or jack the frame to prevent it from rocking? I bet that the ride in that box would get interesting in 30 mph winds.

Posts: 12596 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I used to have a high chair in the back of my Dodge, I never had any problem with rocking, but then again, it wasnt 20' tall. It was only as tall as this one is in the lowered position. Even at that height, it was very beneficial.

Have you hunted out of this before? I know they are very popular, and I would love to have one on my ranch. That would be handy as pockets on shirt.

Good luck with it.

Posts: 6259 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably redo the stand portion next year and put a cover over the top. The idea is to get right at or slightly above the top of the brushline. You can attach a rope to it and raise your deer into the pickup bed. It is bolted to the bed and since this truck is only for this purpose it won't need to be removed. The tires are buckshot brand. I am going to use it as is but will probably add a stabalizer system to it later. I will only use it as a stationary stand. It will rock to much to use while mobile.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
we don't have many tall trees in South Texas, that can't be it

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M16,

Thats a nice looking rig. I've had several high racks, but never had one with a hydrolic jackup, been thinking about building one with a highdrive. Are you running your hydrolics off your power steering pump or bed mounted pump.

Tree fell on my last high rack when i lived in Houston, so I built a light weight rack for my little jeep, it works good in the rough country we hunt in Mexico.

Here's a pic of my little rig, my wife calls it a hunting version of a barbie jeep. 1947 Willys CJ2a.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
You could use that to spy on a lot more things than just deer. Nice looking rig though. It looks a lot newer than the ones I've seen.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I WOULD definitely rig some side support to the truck, either electric camper jack or drop downs like those used for a trailer, since it IS a dedicated rig. Won't cause road problems.

Always interested in seeing other folks ideas.

here is my solution with what to do with dead caribou. Between my rig and the other guy's I hunt with, have about 2000 feet of rope to bring the 'boo in for working on them without having to drag them.
Then
can lift the whole animal, makes it easier to gut, then cut the legs and head off, game bag it then drop it onto the tailgate and push it into the truck or swing it up onto the roof rack without hurting yourself.

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stevens,

I've done quite a bit of work to it. That pic was taken yr before last. The paints not as good as it was then, but what's a couple of can's of Krylon. I've chased alot of rust and fixed the frame with Channel iron where it was weak.

I rebuilt the little flat head motor last yr. Put a new Spicer 18 transfer case in it. Installed a 2 1/2" lift and pretty much rewired including dual batteries. Also has power steering.

Its been fun working on it, I've had it for a few yrs now.

posted Hide Post
I thought you guys might like this variation on the theme. Its not mine and the full story is on the deer-uk site...The cabin is fully enclosed and is hydraulically adjustable between 7ft and 12ft high.

A brief outline of how its was built can be found at:

http://www.deer-uk.com/ultimate_seat.htm

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote