New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winter's meat
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Got this one on Saturday. He came off the Cheatham Annex portion of Yorktown Naval Weapons Station in VA. Not the biggest buck in the woods but he should eat well. Add him to the spike I got a few weeks ago and Me and Mama are set for meat for the year. This buck will probably become sausage for the most part. My apologies for the sub-standard photo. I was actually after a doe and didn't have a camera with me. A friend snapped this one with his cell phone for his son and I had him send it to me.

I had to use buckshot on this deer. Not because I wanted to but because the base rules require it. He is a 7 pt and dressed 96 lbs which makes him about average for that base.

Cheers Y'all

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nice buck! I didn't know anyone used buckshot anymore.

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several of the Navy bases in VA require archery or buckshot. Doesn't make much sense to me, but rules is rules. And the hunting on the bases is pretty good for those that can get on them. Good enough that I'll keep a couple of boxes of buckshot on hand.

Posts: 1039 | Location: Colorado by birth, Virginia by employment | Registered: 18 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Good reason then!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Nice freezer filler. Congrats!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pirate's Life:
Got this one on Saturday. He came off the Cheatham Annex portion of Yorktown Naval Weapons Station in VA. ...

I had to use buckshot on this deer. Not because I wanted to but because the base rules require it. He is a 7 pt and dressed 96 lbs which makes him about average for that base.

Cheers Y'all

What Shotgun/choke/buckshot combination did you use? How far was the shot? Details?

Posts: 106 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 10 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMc:
quote:
Originally posted by Pirate's Life:
Got this one on Saturday. He came off the Cheatham Annex portion of Yorktown Naval Weapons Station in VA. ...

Cheers Y'all

What Shotgun/choke/buckshot combination did you use? How far was the shot? Details?

Since you asked.

I got this buck on a drive through a thick patch of wood. I was one of the drivers and the friend next to me jumped this deer. He crossed about 20 yards in front of me from left to right. I hit him twice on the run.

I was shooting an old Winchester pump that I've had for years. It was a full choke. I always load a combo load with a #1 buck in the barrel followed by as many 00 Buck as the gun holds. #1 Buck has 24 pellets and patterns better so I use it as the first shot since it it usually the chosest and best shot. The 00 Buck is better for going away shots since it packs more punch. I pulled both #1 Buck and 00 Buck out of his chest so I'm certain either shot was fatal but since he was still on his feet I hit him with the extra round.

Cheers