New
Find
Notify
Tools

O.K. answer me this..............
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well I been thinkin.... here in North America, and maybe moreso in the US, we are crazy about semi auto pistols (1911 etc). I bet semi auto .22s rifles are right up there. If you look at the black rifle craze... all semi autos, battle rifles... M1's, M14's... well you get the idea!

So why is it that when it comes to hunting rifles we hardly bother? How many are in use for DG? Or any other type of big game hunting.
They were/are good enuf to trust our lives to in combat for how many years, yet they seem to draw flies for hunting. Kinda puzzles me.
Your thoughts?

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just don't have much use for semi auto guns. The 45 ACP being my one exception.

Posts: 29 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My requirement for a non dg hunting rifle is firstly accuracy and then reliability. For a dg rifle it is the other way around. I am not sure that a semi-auto can deliver these qualities at a comparable price. There must be a reason why long range tactical rifles are predominantly bolt rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just an opinion but I think the concept of DGRs starts and stops with guns that have two barrels. They are generally speaking of large bore, quick on target and redundant. Bolt guns are embraced by accuracy nuts because of action stiffness that is lacking for the most part in other types. They can be very reliable and have the virtue of magazine feed and less expense.

Autos are used in combat due to perceptions of advantage in firepower VOLUME, and except for snipers accuracy is not the highest concern. Yes, tricked out autos can be light, reliable and accurate you may note that they excell in none of those categories. I note that many of the competition Black Rifle clones weigh 8-9 pounds or more and have become rather unwieldy in dimension, all of this to support the .223 case which is decidedly NOT a DGR cartridge. Imagine the weight of a weapon of like action type chambered in .458 Win! roflmao

Reliability of semi-auto weapons is less significant in combat than when considering use as a DGR platform, primarily because in combat you have supporting unit members delivering fire as you reload/clear malfunctions. This is not the case in DGR scenarios. Yes, there may be others in your party, but they may not be in position for a shot. And it may occur that you are alone. Too, you may not have the option of ducking behind a wall out of harm's way as you diddle with your .577 T-Rex Auto-stuffer.

Finally the circumstance of application of a DGR is a situation of narrow definition. Your target will be very close and getting closer, the event will be very short lived, regardless of outcome. Spray and pray is an action that will most likely result in your demise IMO, so one or two well directed shots is all that is needed. And probably all you're going to get anyway. It takes horsepower to accomplish this as well, Large Bores, Big bullets, and Lots of powder. I cannot imagine any semi-auto action having the attributes of a good double or CRF bolt gun.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
For the same reason military snipers use bolt actions. First shot accuracy is paramount.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lord save me from BLACK SEMI-AUTOS!!!!!!! I live very near Ft Bragg, NC. I work on Ft Bragg. ALL, local gun shops, EVER ONE OF THEM are chock full of BLACK SEMI-AUTOS, long and short, big and small, one handed and two. Get the idea. When I go into one of these places looking for a Ruger #1 or a S/W, Ruger revolver I get looked at like I am some sort of alien invader. If it isn’t BLACK AND SEMI-AUTO we don’t want you here. And one other thing since I’m on a roll I have a choice of .223, 9MM, or .45ACP. I usually drive about 100 miles to get to a normal gun shop where people will talk about things other than BSAG.

Love Those .41s'

Posts: 80 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I like the 1911's but the black rifles just don't do it for me. I like a single shot or bolt gun for hunting. I want the most accurate set up for hunting. Big Grin

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clifton Clowers
posted Hide Post
Since you brought it up here's a project for you, WC: chop a Barrett Light Fifty down to something you can fire offhand easily, install a set of express sights, and have at it.

Armed men are citizens. Unarmed men are subjects. Disarmed men are serfs.

Posts: 74 | Location: Wolverton Mountain | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it's kinda like DD said above. Look at the weights of most .308 black rifles. There almost all over 10 without a scope or ammo. The cost factor also come in. Accurate semi-autos cost more than accurate bolt actions off the production line. If someone made a 6lb accurate .308 semi they would probably sell more.

Posts: 226 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
If you have a good revolver, you can pull through 6 (or 7 or 8) rounds almost as quick as someone with a semi 1911.

A revolver or bolt gun also does speeds up any problem with a misfire in an urgent or dangerous situation. The round does not go off in a revolver then pull the trigger again. In a semi.....?????

If you are using for self defense in a place you want to leave real quick after firing, a revolver is the choice you should make. you fire your six shots and exit, taking ALL shell cases with you. with a semi, you fire 6, 7 ,8, 9, 10 or more rounds and the shells are all over the place. those shells can and will be used against you (worst case, you have to keep in mind, when you shoot somone, even in self defense, you may be held liable).

Just some food for thought.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2603 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CC
I think I see a problem here... How will I get the second shot off when I'm lying on my back 20' feet from where I took my first shot. Eeker
Nope just won't do you'll have to come up with a better idea! Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just to liven things up a little.
I have in front of me a picture of Jack Lott firing a Browning BAR he had chambered to .458 Win mag.