New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roll call to senior members
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is a call to all those crusty older hunters that are still out there, still packing a classic old rifle, giving sage advise, and generally adding some class to a hunting camp. This one of them,My Dad took this 165 WT with a super shot from a 7x57 at 72 years of age.Last year took a Mule and Ant.
He Pushed out a bull moose for his son as well, Still does some farming.
Still likes some Woods Rum in a tin Cup

BR

[This message has been edited by Battle River (edited 03-21-2002).]

Posts: 174 | Location: ,Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

I think their server has been whacked out for most of the day.

[This message has been edited by Nickudu (edited 03-20-2002).]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Oh, good, you got the photo up there. Nice lookin' buck there Battle River. Still got it,eh? Congratulations!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
Battleriver,

Thanks for the pic. Nice one. Stuff like this keeps you young.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gota love them old guys. Hope I'll be there some day, but not TOO soon!

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Great role model! I'm sure the younger guys consider it an honor to hunt with you!

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Great role model! I'm sure the younger guys consider it an honor to hunt with you!

Sorry for the mixup! This is my dad in the pic,not me! I as well hope to be as spry as this rascal when I,m 72!!

BR

Posts: 174 | Location: ,Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Nevada Dan>
posted
Battle River, Great post! A touching one too.
My parents finally moved west last year. So, after 30 years of not being able to hunt together (skipping the details), come this November my Father and I will be hunting together again just like when I was a kid. He'll be 78. I just hope its not too late to recapture some of those old memories.

[This message has been edited by Nevada Dan (edited 03-21-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I want to see the picture of the ant and use 20X cuz they are really small..
Regards,
Crusty old Curmudgeon

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I want to see the picture of the ant and use 20X cuz they are really small..
Regards,
Crusty old Curmudgeon

This is exactly the type of attitude that these olderstatesmen bring to a camp, lots of opinion, experience and in general old style bushcraft and ethics. I plan on having one as part of my camp as long as possible.
Hey Curmudgeon: dad did make a hell of a shot on that ANT. goes to show how versatile a 7x57 acually is!!!!!!
Sorry to see your eysight is fuzzy

BR

[This message has been edited by Battle River (edited 03-22-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my hunting buddies drop an elk way to hell and gone on top of a mountain in Colorado. We all hiked in to drag it out and on the way we picked up a crowd. Other hunters. When he got there, after the back slapping and picture taking I looked around at the crowd we accumlated. There were five other hunters that tagged along to see the elk. One of them followed us up and kept up. I asked him flat out how old he was and he replied 84. I told him that I hoped I was getting up and down them hills as well as he was at that age. He said hunting with his sons kept him young.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Alberta John>
posted
BR
your dad is cool...i hope he lives forever...

<ChuckD>
posted
My absolute best friend and hunting partner was my Dad.He was FIRMLY convinced that a .270 with a Lyman 3X was all you needed for all North American hunting. And he was right, it was all he needed or owned his lst 45 years. And if you weren't as progressive as him, a 32 special Wrenchchester with a peep sight would do just fine. When I was about 30, I bought a 7 rem mag, which he reckoned was nothing more than a highly advertised overly hyped imitation 270. Because I shot that rifle well, he finally accepted it after 10 years of proving itself. Dad was a teacher, and finally a school superintendent. He taught shop, where the speciality was gunstocks and beautiful display cabinets for guns. We always had "HUNTERS VACATION" at school, and longer time away was just fine. I miss hunting with him, though he got crotchety in picnic weather! iF IT IS NICE OUT, STAY HOME AND WATCH A BALLGAME! Enjoy hunting with your Dads, the memories last forever. Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great to see your stories as well, Its something we all have in common no matter where we hunt. I've been very lucky to have a rich hunting heritage. And lean from some real legends. My uncle hunted the Brazeua river country for 48 years straight and say some of the best game country in NA. Used the same 270 FN for all his hunts and had a great camp attitude and is still a real woodsman that I can only hope to aspire to.

Dave