THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    My sons first, Colorado Mule Deer ! *Pictures Added*

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My sons first, Colorado Mule Deer ! *Pictures Added*
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
Just got back into town after a day in the woods. My son and I went up to take down our tent that had blown over in the last snow storm while we were away, once we got it stowed away we took a drive and spotted 6 bull elk along the way ( no bull tags for this season ) then we headed out a ridge. My 12 year old son spotted a buck staring straight at us about 75 yards away from behind a screen of brush the deer didn't stay put long enough for him to get set up and ran down the ridge and stopped when I cow called just before he dropped over the edge into a deep canyon. My son flopped down in the snow prone and got a bead on him I talked to him quietly reminding him to take his time and squeeze when he was ready. At the shot the deer dropped in his tracks!
Nice 4x3 with an eyeguard on his "4" side, 178 yard shot with his .284 Win in Ruger M77 Flatbolt, 2-7 Leupold scope. He has been practicing for 2 years for this shot and he did great. The shot was a steep downward angle entered high in the shoulder taking the bottom of the spine and exiting the off side lower in the shoulder with a small exit wound. The Speer 130 grain bullet going a sedate 2600 fps did the trick. When we got to him he needed a finishing shot from 20 yards out and that bullet entered the neck and travelled into the body and we recovered that slug.
Aric ( my son ) was so excited but I'm not sure if he was as excited as I was!
We took a bunch of pictures as the sun was fading then we had a 2 hour pack out to the truck and then about 2 hour drive home, me and the boy are bushed.
What a great day, Aric and I will remember this for our entire lives.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your son's buck!

An aquaintance has two of those .284 Model 77's and loves them. He machined a peep sight for one and saw him kill an elk with it.

BJ

Posts: 86 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you both. Good job

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Wow, tell you son congrats. That is fantastic!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 266 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Super well done to Aric, and not so bad yourself! Picture #2 of Aric is a lifetime memory photo... just fabulous... Congratulations!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't get any better than that, does it? Congrats to both of you! I've got son's and nephews who also hunt and that familiar successful grin is priceless.

Way to go!

Don't let so much reality into your life that there's no room left for dreaming.

Posts: 263 | Location: SE Colorado | Registered: 24 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom ----- Great hunt for both of you, congratulations on an adventure that will be with both of you forever. I enjoyed it with my son, and now the first of six grandsons on Deer and Elk. One question, where was the hunt. I am due an Elk hunt in the 4th season, and am interested in the snow cover and the hunt location. wave thumb Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really nice buck. Congratulations!

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Phurley
The hunt was in the Tarryall Mountains. Wed night and Thursday they probably got 2' of snow it was real wet snow and lots of wind so some areas drifted deeper and some areas like the windblown ridge where Aric shot the buck was almost bare. We are having warm weather now so most of it is going away, we will get more though thats for sure. This year so far has been wetter than most and it seems to still be carrying into the fall. Bring a set of 4 tire chains for your truck and good tires you should be fine, that and wool pants and tall Schnee hunting boots and the right attitude and you'll get around alright.
What part of the state are you headed to Phurley? I'll be around Eagle for the 4th season me and the boy have either sex elk tags and my brother has one too with a Buck tag as well.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom ----- We will be hunting between Craig and Meeker, just North of Sleepy Cat peak. As you know, any weather report is treasured prior to the hunt. I am not familiar with the Tarryall mountains, I will try to find them on the map. I do know where Eagle is, the best of luck to you and yours. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your son on a fine buck and to you, sir, for involving him in the outdoors!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! What a great hunt a memory for both you and your son for years to come. Good going Dad.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Way to go, Looks like a great deer! Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! What a great first buck! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all the nice comments, it really was quite an event that we will always remember. The pictures will help keep that memory refreshed every time we look at them.
Thanks again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great first buck, I know if I was your son I'd be grinning from ear to ear as well. I can only imagine your excitment for your son.