Notify
Tools

Re: Deer Rifle Suggestions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
triggerhappy,

Weatherby makes some fine rifles that fit the description you mentioned.

If you want something alittle less expensive, the Remington 700 CDL comes to mind.

Good Luck finding your new rifle.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I've been thinking about getting another deer rifle in .308 Winchester and was wondering if you fellas might have some input on it. I've got a few specs in mind for one to get which are:
nice wood stock walnut comes to mind (I'm a bit of a purist)
fairly long length of pull because I'm a fairly big guy
nice smooth and fairly light trigger pull
internal magazine or one with a hinged floorplate
blued steel
relatively short bolt throw
capable of MOA or better accuracy

The two that come to mind are the Weatherby Deluxe and Sporter models and the Sako Hunter and Deluxe models. I think you'll find that any of these meet your criteria.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny you should ask! I was just talking to my hunting/shooting buddy about this. Of all my guns my favorite one at this time is my 308 Mark X Whitworth. I bought it used for $350, but had to put a better trigger on it. It will consistently shoot my 150gn Power Point reloads around 1.25" @100yds. It'll shoot milsurp around 1.5" @100yds to the same point of aim. The PPs are a great pig/deer load to about 200yds, but balistically fall off after that. I'm thinking of loading some 165 BTs for longer ranges, if I can get them to shoot same POA as the milsurp. The Milsurp is great because at $.20 apiece its cheap practice. If I was to buy a new gun now it would be a Remington CDL in 308. capt david

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 11 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about getting another deer rifle in .308 Winchester and was wondering if you fellas might have some input on it. I've got a few specs in mind for one to get which are:
nice wood stock walnut comes to mind (I'm a bit of a purist)
fairly long length of pull because I'm a fairly big guy
nice smooth and fairly light trigger pull
internal magazine or one with a hinged floorplate
blued steel
relatively short bolt throw
capable of MOA or better accuracy

Posts: 83 | Location: Hampton Roads, VA | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger MKII, Remington Mt. rifle. There are all kinds of nice 308 out there depending on how much you want to spend and how much you want it to weigh. All most all factory rifles now days well have to have trigger work to get the trigger pull you want.

I personaly try and buy stainless Syn rifles now days. They just wear much better then blue and wood. But each to his own.

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You described a Kimber 84 ..........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want the shorter bolt throw, you are limited to Browning, Sako, Tikka, and Weatherby for factory actions. Concerning controlled feed I think in a deer rifle it is not necessary. I have been shooting bolt guns for many thousands of rounds and have never had one jam. I have several Brownings, 2 Tikka's, 2 Weatherbys, one Rem and one Savage. If you want internal mag the Weatherby is the only one to meet your criteria. My personal favirite is still the Browning, although the Sako Finnlite is on my horizon.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
M1A1

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rem model 7, 1.5x6 scope. Might have to put a extra thick recoil pad on it but you're prob gonna have to do that with anything you buy to get your preferred lop.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys thanks for all the great input. djpaintles that is some damn impressive shooting just what kind of scope do you have on that rifle anyway? I think I'm pretty much narrowed down to either a Sako or a Weatherby. I've looked at some newer Remingtons and frankly I just wasn't that impressed I hope that doesn't mean I'm turning into a snob. A buddy of mine showed me his .300 Winchester Magnum where you could lock the bolt and without fail he had lost the key to the bolt. That's not exactly a feature I'm looking for in a rifle. I'm sure most remingtons are ok rifles I just like things where it's obvious it has a high level of craftsmanship. Ok maybe that does make me a snob hahahah.

Posts: 83 | Location: Hampton Roads, VA | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ 550 maybe. I think it has flush bottom metal.

Or a Colt Sauer?

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a 300yd group from my Sako Finnlite:

I bet the 308 Finnlites shoot great too.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote