New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antelope hunting in Montana
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys, I live in Alberta Canada and just finished driving thru Montana last week. I saw some nice antelope and i am interested in knowing what it would take for me from Canada to come shoot one? Do I need an outfitter? Do you have to pay to hunt on private land? What does it take to get a tag? Any help would be great. It's a short drive to the border and we can only hunt them every 4 or 5 years.

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By no means am I an expert on nr licenses, but I believe all you need to do is send in your apps(June 1st this year) and you can hunt whatever you are drawn for. There are a few areas that are almost guarunteed draws in the eastern pert of the state. BTW what part of Alberta are you from? I grew up in Valier about an hour south of Sunburst.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
kind of late to apply for licenses, but check the fish and game & see if they have leftovers. I know wyoming does.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know that I am late for this year but I would like to know how most guys find land to hunt on. Here in Alberta we just ask the farmer if we can hunt on the land. In the U.S don't you have to lease land or pay the farmer? Is there public land to hunt and is it even worth the time? It might not even be worth it if the license costs hundred of dollars but I thought I would check it out because I love to hunt those antelope. I live in Edmonton area for the guy who was asking. Thanks

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Application fee for nr antelope drawing is $203 US. As for where to hunt, you might want to ask ricciardelli from the reloading forums. He lives in the ne areas that have the best chances of drawing. Good luck.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nube,
I live in North East Montana. There is a ton of public land and also Montana has a program called Block Management which is private land opened to public hunting. If you want to have the best odds of getting a NR tag then a Region 7 tag is where you want if you are looking a B&C speed goat then you most likely should not consider Montana but if you a looking for a good representative of the species then it is available. YOU DO NOT NEED A GUIDE OR OUTFITTER. If you are willing to knock on doors and explain you only want to hunt antelope then you will find places to hunt. Just make sure you get your app in you can apply online as well.

http://fwp.state.mt.us/hunting/obtainlicense/default.html

tnomen

Posts: 33 | Location: Glasgow, Montana | Registered: 05 May 2005Reply With Quote