New
Find
Notify
Tools

Highlights Of Your Season!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Keeping with my always upbeat and glass half full credo I wish to share with you all, some of the highlights of my just now completed Elk, Deer, Bear and Antelope seasons!
This year I Hunted exclusively in Montana for Big Game. I had plans for a Wyoming Mule Deer Hunt that did not quite come through! Better luck on that one next year.
Back to the highlights: highlight #1: I saw the largest herd of Elk I have ever seen during the season in a public area open to Hunting (by permit)! My partner and I were hot on the trail of a Mule Deer Buck we had seen when I spotted several Elk coming over a ridge line about 900 yards away! The Elk kept coming and coming and coming! Eventually the whole gigantic herd began feeding in an open flat area near some water. They strung out for hundreds of yards. We actually had to detour around them in a mile wide circle to continue our pursuit of the Muley! On a rest stop during this jaunt/detour I set up my Nikon spotting scope and counted the Elk - one by one! There were 326 Elk in that herd! Then I went back and counted the Bulls in the herd. There were 57 Bull Elk in that herd including at least 10 that were 330+ Bulls! We had to tear our selves away from that sight to continue our pursuit of the dandy Mule Deer. We never caught up with him!
I can not wait to be drawn for a Bull Elk tag in this area! On this same Hunt we also saw Elk herds numbering in the 60's and 80's!
We also saw 9 old Bulls that were travelling alone (no cows) and there were some dandies in that group but they were nearly two miles away. Still it was great to see them and my dreams each night in camp included me harvesting whopper Bull Elk ad infinitum!
Season Highlight #2: Was getting my old friend and work mate his first Antelope! This was the fifth Antelope tag my friend had gotten and his first three Antelope Hunts were unsuccesful and another had to be cancelled due to work conflict. We Hunted hard in the worst gumbo conditions I have ever seen (in 37 years of Hunting "gumbo country") my friend who is 62 and recently had quadruple by-pass heart surgery never complained once - he just kept plodding along in the horrifying gumbo! Finally on the last day of our Hunt he made a wonderful 355 yard shot killing a dandy Buck we had Hunted on three previous days! The smile on his face was non-stop for two more days! He called me a couple days ago wanting to know how soon the taxidermist will have his trophy done! Good for my friend.
Season Highlight #3: On the opening day of our Elk/Deer season here in Montana (Sunday October 23rd) the temperature was predicted to be in the high 60's! It actually got to 71 degrees where I and my partner decided to Hunt Elk in the high alpine country. I trundled off that morning in the dark ALREADY over-heating! The first thing I saw was fresh and HUGE Grizzly tracks in some oozing mud near a spring! Then I heard Wolves howling in the valley far below our perchs! Then I spotted a herd of Mt. Goats that fed to within 500 yards of me. I took pictures of them. There were 17 Goats in that herd! Several were mature Billies! Around 10:00 AM several of the Goats walked up to some small snow patches and actually lay down with their necks outstretched fully on the snow! Their winter hair was coming in and I am sure they were as hot as I was on that strangely hot day! I love Mt Goat country!
Season Highlight #4: On a mid-season (November 11th) Mule Deer Hunt I snuck into a remote thicket that I had a "hunch" was holding bedding Mule Deer that were just coming into "rut". It was 2 miles from the nearest water I could ascertain but I had seen fresh rubs in the thicket and fresh spoor. And for some reason some Deer were using this remote thicket. Sure enough not long after sunrise a small herd of does and one very large Buck Mule Deer came into the thicket directly towards me. I made a one shot kill on this dandy Buck at 140 yards - off hand!
On this same Hunt my partner and I saw 4 other "trophy quality" Mule Deer Bucks and I have tucked their EXACT locales into my memory bank for next years ventures!
Season Highlight #5: During the late season I was driving to a friends home to deliver a couple of Rifles that had come down with scope trouble! I had repaired them and was taking the scenic route to his home 56 miles away. I had planned to travel during the last hour of daylight on my chore.
Sure enough my plan was paying off with frequent observations of Mule Deer, Moose, Whitetailed Deer and an Elk or two. Not 6 miles from my friends house I spied a monster... I mean a MONSTER Whitetail Buck! This hog bodied monster was simply beyond "trophy of a lifetime"! He was top of the book quality! I slammed the window mounted spotting scope into place as I was worried that this unbelieveable Buck would dart away!
He didn't!
I looked him in eye - literally! He was only 100 yards away and staring directly at me! This typical 5x5 (plus long eyeguards and massiveness throughout!) Buck would easily score 200 points B&C! I stayed parked in the middle of the road until he turned his head and I verified the mass and the even-ness of his 12 pointed rack! I was shaking when I finally drove away!
He was AWESOME! One of the highlights of my game watching life in fact! This buck lived (and attained the age of I am guessing 8+ years!) on cultivated field crops and had lots of protection from Hunters of the mainstream type! Access here by Hunters is quite restricted! Maybe I will slip in there and search for his antlers come late February!
Season Highlight #6: I also harvested a dandy Antelope this year. I have taken a number of bigger Antelope but never have I toiled and fretted and labored even 1/10th as much for an Antelope! I simply have had it with Hunting in Gumbo! My shot on this nifty Buck was a long one and satisfyingly it was the only shot needed to bring this hard earned Buck to bag!
Season Highlight #7: Was not really part of any Hunt or game sighting - it was a dinner! If you can imagine!
I had travelled some distance to a remote (and I mean REMOTE!) valley in Montana to check on some Elk/Deer Hunters I often Hunt with! I had decided to not to Hunt Elk the rest of the season as my freezers were full. Yet I wanted to give my firends some advice, game location rumors and a pep talk if needed!
It wasn't!
The weather this season had simply been the worst possible for Elk Hunters as it was warm and no snow for aiding Elkin! Yet my friends were all in good cheer once I got there.
Upon my arrival to their new and 99% finished log cabin mansion I was thrilled to see game hanging on their built in game hoists under a deck! The sun was just going down when I got there and I was pleased to see that the 5 Hunters had harvested 4 Deer that day! Our knives were flashing and slashing as we made short work of skinning and boning out the Deer! I pointed out several small Mule Deer herds on the opposite side of the valley as we worked. As we were starting the last Deer my friends invited me to stay for dinner and share their bounty! Just the thought of feasting on fresh Filet Mignon of Whitetail made my mouth water!
Was I in for a surprise! The huge stainless barbecue was lit and out came shrimp kabobs, Elk kabobs, Elk steaks, beef steaks and the aforementioned Filet Mignon of Whitetail!
The stories and some liqour began flowing! I am not much of a drinker but I do enjoy cold beer and a Blackberry Brandy now and then! Both were in large supply!
The five Hunters were all from out of state, 2 were from New York, 1 from Florida, 1 from Colorado and 1 from Wyoming! This mansion of a cabin will sit alone most of the year except for summer vacations during fishing season then in the fall for extended Hunting use!
Along with the flowing spirits came a flood of stories of the years Hunts we all had completed! Tales of Hunts from 3 countries in Africa predominated for a while but were soon replaced by Spring Bear tales from Canada and Alaska and Montana! Then began the Mule Deer Hunting tales from Colorado and Wyoming! Then two Moose Hunts were recalled from this early fall. All Hunt recaps were accompanied by photos and albums of the game and the areas they had lived!
What a splendid way to spend a pre-dinner hour! The food started coming from the kitchen and from the barbecue at a rate that soon overwhelmed all eaters! But even during the feast the Hunting stories and now WINE kept flowing!
I ate till I was on the verge of illness!
My hosts simply made enough food for 12 to 15 people to become sated on and there was just the 6 of us! Wild Rice and shrimp kabobs simply to die for! The Elk kabobs had been marinated in Terriyaki for a whole day! They simply melted in your mouth and the vegetables on them even tasted wonderful! I had flour and butter cooked some Filet Mignon of Whitetail - it melted in my mouth and several others regaled it as well!
The surroundings were simply sublime in the 3 story mansion/cabin! Trophies on every wall, skulls in every corner, racks on the fireplace mantle, antique Rifles in every room prominently displayed on wall pegs! A roaring fire in the air tight fireplace insert (the heat was really not needed but still added to the "feel" of the beautiful Montana sunset and evening!).
I ate and ate and talked and talked til I realized it was going to be midnight before I could possibly get home and the VarmintWife would be worried (no phone service to the cabin/mansion and my cell phone quit working 40 miles back!).
I decided to let the VarmintWife worry a tad as this evening was simply to special to cut short!
Oh, I forgot to mention the antique "Rock-Ola" brand juke box that played from the great room, continuously! Not only was the jukebox vintage but the country western music selections were all original 45's of Patsy Cline, Merle Hagard, Slim Whitman, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Gentleman Jim Reeves and the like!
My friends nearly got tired of my playing Slim Whitmans wonderful... NO sensational rendition of "Silver Haired Daddy Of Mine"!
I noticed that I was not the only one that teared up each time I got a chance to play it.
After all that food and drink the host brought out an Apricot Torte his mother had made and sent along to be eaten!
I had never eaten an Apricot Torte and have nothing to compare it to other than different deserts I have enjoyed. It simply was delicious beyond description! Maybe the best desert I have ever encountered - and believe me I have encountered some deserts in my 58 years!
Plans and Hunts to do in the future was the final topic of the evening I got to enjoy with the Hunters as we lounged in the great room!
I interjected I wanted to someday Hunt Caribou and Woodchucks and maybe get lucky and draw a Bighorn tag before I turn to dust!
Several of the Hunters offered advice on the Caribou as virtually all of them had Hunted them in various provinces and Alaska.
It was tough to leave that grand session but the Hunters were starting to fade and needed another Deer and some more Elk to fill their tags. They needed to get up early in the morning but I was intending on sleeping in, if I made it home without falling asleep in the VarmintMobile!
My hosts prepared SEVERAL to go bags for me including samples of all our main entrees of the eve!
I have eaten some grand meals in various Hunting camps from Texas to Alberta to Alaska and Washington to Wyoming but NOTHING compares at all to that feast and that evening with those friendly upbeat Hunters!
I will NEVER forget that evening!
Long live Hunting Camps!
I would enjoy hearing some of the HIGHLIGHTS of your Hunting Season so far!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Wow, you have had some great events happen this year! I would have loved to have seen the Mt. Goats cooling off in the snow. Hope you find those whitetail antlers too.

~Ann

Posts: 19245 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
luckily my hunting season isn't over yet! I got drawn for a december buffalo hunt. So far I have a black bear, 6x6 elk and a nice whitetail in the bag. Crossing my fingers for the buffalo!

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not been as busy as I thought I'd be... all sorts of things didn't happen. Of course I couldn't hunt sheep this year, having killed one last year, and somehow I couldn't really commit to anything else. The highlight probably was the fact that I took my 11-year-old son on a duck hunt. I got the impression that he enjoyed being out with me, and didn't mind the killing. He did good, didn't complain about wet feet, and got to see his dad strip and take to water to save the dog (long story...). I took my first whitetail buck, with some nice shooting if I may say so myself. I had a big mule buck come within 7 paces, only to see him bound off without my getting a shot. I had the crosshairs on his behind, but couldn't do it. We're having blowing snow right now, so the season's closer (tomorrow) might be off... :-(

I saw some nice rams, and that is getting me all excited for next year!! There are years that you hunt sheep, and then there are years that you just hunt... this year I just hunted.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I rattled in this white-tail and my son shot his first buck. That was a thrill we will both remember for a long long time. Every time we sit down to some nice venison steaks we grin at each other and talk and joke about the hunt.

Robin

[/IMG]

Posts: 265 | Location: Rocky Mtn. Hse., Alberta | Registered: 09 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll try again.
Robin

Posts: 265 | Location: Rocky Mtn. Hse., Alberta | Registered: 09 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and again

Robin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sure I have posted pics here before but am having trouble this time. Robin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for taking up so much space.

Robin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The highlight of my season came after i shot my 2 antelope one a decent 14 inch buck. A couple of days later my regular hunting partner--my 4yr old daughter got to help my cousin-his wife and me move 160 head of cattle a few miles she was riding by herself on a big gentle horse and did great--right after we got back her mom and her went to california and went to disneyland--i think thats the one--nevertheless all she talks about is getting back to SD to hunt GOATS and ride SPOOK.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Biggest highlight was easily my 14 year old taking his first deer. A clean kill on a nice doe with his muzzleloader. It will never get any better than that.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Me too guys... my twelve year old son and his first big game hunt!

After reading some of the threads on the African game forum I've decided some of those primadona's need to take a kid hunting and rediscover the sport...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey VG - you know if the canadians throw the bums out of office & get their gun laws changed so you can go there again, just a bit due north of you you can go and shoot caribou and rockchucks.
I gotta go & find a snack after reading your post

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Skibum, Duffy4 & Brad: Thanks for posting those photos of your season highlights! You can sure tell from the warmth of those smiles and the obvious pride pouring out of those young Hunters that they were pleased, proud and happy!
Many happy returns for them all!

My youngest boy (of three sons and one daughter) is now 20 years old and in college!
WHERE DOES THE TIME GO?
Enjoy and photo those wonderful youngsters at EVERY opportunity!
You guys have obviously all tied for first place in the season highlights arena with 300 H&H and his memories of his daughter and her first cattle drive and Antelope Safari!
Thanks for sharing your great photos and your highlights.

Butchbloc: Thanks for the heads up on the Canadian situation - I have heard there was a "no confidence" vote of parliment or something going on up there?
I have shot tons of Rock Chucks - I need to get a Wood Chuck though, onto my all time list!

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
VG, nice thread!

One night I was sitting on a meadow high in the mountains waiting to see if a bull would feed out. I was nestled against a tree trying to stay warm and out of the wind. I suddenly heard flapping behind me. I turned, and saw a gray bird (Band Tail Pigeon?) eight or ten feet from me flapping in the snow loudly . I thought, "what the heck!" Seemed an odd moment for a snow bath... I put the bino's on the bird and saw a little white head set with little black eyes... an Ermine! The little guy had the bird in a death lock by the neck and was squeezing the life out of it right in front of me. The drama continued for another five minutes then the ermine dragged the bird off and buried it in the snow... he seemed quite unconcerned I should witness the whole thing!

Was a beautiful season...

Saw fresh grizzly and bobcat tracks. Traacked bull elk and saw many. Listened to furious bugling and chirping in the pre-dawn darkness. Watched Big Horn sheep, deer and birds of all kinds. The morning my son shot the antelope we watched a 400lb + black bear feeding on an elk kill. Watched shooting stars, sunrises and sunsets, sunlight, shadows and changing weather. Enjoyed warm days, cold days and in between days in solitude and companionship... a great year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad: Your Ermine story brought to mind a happening from my youth! When I was about 9 or 10 years old I woke up one morning and went on "rabbit patrol" of our families garden. The Cottontail Rabbits were wreaking havoc with the manner of our veggies and I and my older brother were tasked with "harvesting" the Rabbits. Sure enough that morning a Cottontail was in the veggies and munching away. I grabbed my Remington bolt action 22 (it cost $13.00 as I recall and we could not afford the Winchester bolt action which was $19.00 back then and was the one I really wanted!) and I headed for the back porch. Even at this tender age I had learned to find a rest for my game shooting. I bonked the Rabbit a good one and went back in the house to get my boots on (family could not afford both boots and shoes for each child so it was BOOTS only!). About three minutes later I arrived at the scene of the Rabbits demise and what do I see - a Weasel has the Rabbit by the throat and is trying to drag it somewhere! I was standing not four feet away from the two of them and the Weasel simply would not let go of my Rabbit! I was shocked that any wild animal would stand its ground and go about its business without running off at a humans approach! I worked up the nerve to get the garden hoe and try to seperate the two! My Rifle was back in my closet by this time! I was intent on just retrieving the Rabbit without harming the Weasel! That did not happen! The Weasel would let go of the Rabbits throat at my "digging" at him with the hoe but immediately dart back to the Rabbits throat. His speed did significantly "alert" (scare) me! I eventually let the Weasel have his Rabbit and went into the house to "warn" the family!
I have had many close up encounters with Weasels and Ermine since then and I have as yet to sense them be the least bit intimidated by humans!
Long live the Ermine and Weasels!
I missed the whole Elk Buglin season this year due to an unfortunate bite by a Rattlesnake to my foot on August 22nd! I was on crutches most of September!
Better luck next year!
Brad are you the Hunter from Bozeman that got the Mt. Goat tag this year? If it was you how did you do? Maybe it was Mark Dobrenski?
I can't remember.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste away!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
VG, GREAT story... those things are more like wolverines! Dang, sorry to hear about your foot... that hada hurt! Dobrenski was the one that had the goat tag. He looked over several decent goats but held off the trigger looking for a big one and didn't fill his tag. He had great hunts though!

BTW, I think you'll be pleased to know Rem is bringing back the Sendero with fluted SS barrel, including in 264 WM!

Best!

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad: Thanks for the update on Mark and for the info on the Sendero coming back in 264 Winchester Magnum and WHAT other calibers!
Where should I look for info - or did you get this word of mouth wise?
Better luck next tag for Mark!
My 270 Sendero has been performing so wonderfully on Antelope, high plains Mulies and such - I have just been thrilled with it!
Now that 264 Winchester Magnum with todays array of bullet brands, styles and types should make for an amazing long range Antelope, Deer and Coyote Rifle!
Good for Big Green!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Opening day of Late buck season I took this buck on my place after chasing him for 3 years.

The final day of season a good friend of mine took this buck on my place. Both deer were shot within 30 yards of each other.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Well, where do I begin.....my oldest kids first time elk hunting and he gets a 5x5?

Or maybe my middle one and a 60 yard doe the first time he ever went?

Or how about my oldest son rattling in a little buck and then taking a turkey 2 hours later with his 12 gauge?

Or how about the nice 5 point whitetail???? HHHmmm...but the season is really just beginning. Coyotes, bobcats and foxes are surely to come a callin' as we are in the "crash" phasee of the vole cycle here on the Palouse.... Go Vandals!

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
2 Highlights for me really.

1- I found a really cool new Elk hunting location, (didnt come home with one though, was waiting for the big boy and he never showed, maybe next year). A rigorous hike to a high mountian plateau filled with about a dozen small lakes. It is home to a decent herd and one huge friggin bull moose, absoloutly gorgeous place.

2- My former anti-hunting brother in law is now a bonified convert. Im currently working out the details for building him a rifle. I had serious reservations about taking him at all but now Im glad I did, he had the time of his life there and cant wait to do it again.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife survived a very trying year ( heart attack , quadruple bypass, nearly a dozen surgery's in all plus going on dialysis(kidneys failed completely). I am very thankful for that and secondly for being able to hunt this season.
Though I didn't fill either of my tags(here in AZ) a coues whitetail and a bull elk tag I had a great hunting season.I helped out on several hunts and took my daughter out for dove, quail and ducks. Plus she is shooting her browning micro midas pretty dang well these days.
After several days of hunting alone I teamed up with an older gentleman who like me was on his own in the same unit for elk.(both of us strangers) I believe after this move we saw more elk together than we did alone, just could not close the deal on any of the bulls.
Secondly I was followed out of the woods by a stray dog and after sharing my lunch, snacks and water with it I was able to read the tag on its collar, get the owners phone number and return him to his "daddy" who happened to be guiding a client in the same unit that I was hunting elk in. All in it was a great season for me for these and several other reasons.
coues

Posts: 337 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote