Find
Notify
Tools

Here's one for the ballistic tips
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
I just received an email the other day from a fellow hunter that took his one of his biggest bears.

He killed a 350+lb dry sow with a 7STW at less than 50 yards using a 140 ballistic tip over IMR7828.

I asked him a few months ago about bullet choice in his 7STW and he said, "I'm not really one to ask on that because I get hammered for the bullet I use even though it has killed everything I've shot with it for years."

I pressed him and he admitted he ONLY uses ballistic tips for everything.

The bullet put the sow down in one shot and rolled her. It went through the shoulder and the bulk of it lodged on the offside shoulder but had fragmented. "Completely blew the bullet up but I don't give a shit what the bullet looks like as long as it continues to put 'em down like it's done for all the years I've used it."

I should mention that this hunter is a 25 year former state trapper and has killed probably in the thousands of game with the b-tip. I'll ask his permission to let me post his picture with the bear.

I thought it was interesting about the btip. He's killed many many bears in Canada and the US using this combo and has never lost one.

I took triple shocks with me to Maine a few weeks ago as well as 180 Partitions and 200 Accubonds all from my .06.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Put em in the right place and they'll do everything you need them to!

Posts: 93 | Location: Hants. UK | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
We are lucky we live in the USA where we have so many bullets to choose from. There are better bullets though in my opinion.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Nothin' like a good ole' NBT.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Edmac said it all, put 'em in the right place. I have never used BT's on anything larger than deer. But the deer I have shot with them all died quickly, and they are devastating on coyotes, out of my .243

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Same for me. Every deer I have hit with a ballistic tip has gone down without much of a tracking job.>John

Posts: 725 | Location: Upstate Rural NY | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say that out of the 60 Deer I have shot with a rifle 45 of them I used ballistic Tips. I would also say that I have used anything from the 50gr B-Tip in my 220 Swift to a 180 in a 300 winchester mag and never have had a problem and I have busted many shoulders. I mostly use my 6mm-284 now with a 95gr ballistic Tips and it works very well. For big Game like Elk, Black Bear, and Moose I think someone could use one with no problems in the bigger cals. If you think about it a bullet that makes it into the vitals and then comes apart is going to do alot more damage then a bullet the just makes a nice round hole.

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote