Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Elk Hunting Sleeping Bag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Winnie,

I can't help on specifics but I will tell you in principle a winter bag should be top-drawer. You can always get cooler in winter but getting warmer is problematic. My last elk hunt to Idaho I took a very good LL Bean hollofil bag and was counting on adding my parka on top but after the first night wished I had my old 5lb Bauer down bag. Even my surplus mummy bag would have been warmer. But I'm very cold natured.

I'd get a really good synthetic and take a light down comforter it the forecast calls for it.

My uncle used to say "get the best boots, parka, bag and flashlight you can afford. The rest you can make do with mediocre if you have to...."

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For packing in, my favorite has been my North Face bag. It is about 20 years old, and I can't remember what model it is, but it has been one hell of a bag. If weight is not an issue, I also have an old Wood's "Arctic" bag. It is a heavy canvas bag filled with down and has a wool liner. During those really cold hunts, I have woke up several times with snow and frost covering the bag but I have been warm and cozy.
I don't remember what they cost me, but I would rather be warm and poor, than to freeze my butt off during a hunt. Nothing is more miserable that not being able to sleep because you're really cold.

MG

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Saw a bag in the Sportsman's Guide for 50 bucks. it was either a 0 or a -10 degree mummy bag. The bag had Holofill insulation and it said that it would keep warm even if wet. Isn't that what was in the 300-400 dollar bags.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote